At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our 'About Us' video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
HDR is seeking a Senior Engineer and Project Manager for our Traffic/ITS staff in Tennessee. The individual selected for this position will be based in HDR’s Brentwood, TN office preferably. The position will be a key member of the KY/TN/AR area transportation business group and actively promote technical excellence for the Traffic/ITS practice. Responsibilities include:
- Plan, manage, direct, and monitor all aspects of large multi-disciplinary traffic and ITS projects.
- Lead technical delivery of engineering services in alignment with client expectations and HDR quality procedures.
- Lead or provide traffic engineering design and traffic analysis for a wide range of project types. Work could include:
- Planning, Engineering, Design, Integration, Deployment, Operations and Maintenance, Communications and overall Project Management.
- Preparing traffic operational analyses using microsimulation and deterministic models.
- Using large datasets (HERE, INRIX, WAZE, etc.) to support analysis as well as model building and calibration.
- Developing Systems Engineering Analyses, ITS Architectures, Concept of Operations, ITS and TSM&O Master Plans, TMC Standard Operational Procedures and Performance Measures Guidelines, ITS design plans, ITS equipment specifications, along with subsequent testing, operations and maintenance activities.
- Developing plans, specifications, and estimates for freeway, arterial and transit ITS systems, including fiber optic and wireless communications systems, power distribution systems, CCTV, DMS, vehicle detection systems, HAR, RWIS, traffic signal interconnect, transit signal priority, lighting control systems, and other ITS technologies and sub-systems, such as freeway open road tolling and managed lanes technologies.
- Completing designs for traffic signals, lighting, and signing and marking.
- Conducting highway safety analyses (including highway safety manual projects)
- Conducting Maintenance of Traffic (MOT) planning and analysis
- Preparing traffic engineering studies such as signal warrants, traffic impact studies to support NEPA projects, speed studies, parking studies, access management plans, and travel time studies.
- Support growth of the area Traffic/ITS Section
- Support technical development of staff
This person will be a key resource for the pursuit and management of major transportation design, operations, planning and research projects. The ability to establish client relationships in the market is important. The person in this position leads and directs the work of others in the completion of required plans, studies, documents and reports.
- B.S. degree in Civil Engineering required.
- PE in Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas, or the ability to obtain a PE in these states withing 6 months.
- PTOE or ability to obtain is strongly preferred.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience with traffic engineering and ITS, including:
- Expertise with traffic operational software (e.g. VISSIM, Synchro, Transmodeler, HCS, and FREEVAL)
- Experience with traffic design including signal design and timing/optimization.
- Familiarity with NEC, NEMA, or IEEE standards
- Experience with CAD software, especially Microstation.
- Experience with transportation safety analysis.
- Direct experience providing engineering services to TDOT, KYTC, and/or ArDOT preferred. Equivalent DOT experience required.
- At least 10 years of project management experience demonstrating strong leadership skills and effective team management.
- Active involvement in professional societies.
- Analytical, organizational, interpersonal, and written/verbal communication skills.
- An attitude and commitment to participation in our employee-owned culture is a must.
At HDR, we know work isn't only about who you work for; it's also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other's contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.