Alabama, USA • Montgomery, AL, USA Req #13712
Tuesday, February 9, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than 260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, WordStream, and ThriveHive and U.K. media company Newsquest. There's never been a better time to join our talented team.
At Gannett, Inclusion, Diversity and Equity are core pillars of our organization and influence all that we do. We foster an environment that lifts all voices and welcomes everyone to take part in our journey into the future where every employee is heard, respected, and given an equal opportunity to thrive.
Executive Editor - Montgomery Advertiser
State Editor - USA TODAY Network/Alabama
Gannett's South Region network is seeking a dynamic and transformational leader to serve as its next executive editor of The Montgomery Advertiser/ , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, and editor for the USA TODAY NETWORK in Alabama.
The ideal applicant will be equal parts visionary and pragmatist, able to inspire and strategize while ensuring that whatever lies directly ahead is swiftly and effectively handled. The editor will direct an energetic, productive and talented staff while collaborating with journalists across Alabama as a member of the senior leadership team for the South Region. The state editor oversees cohesive strategy across the state, working with colleagues throughout the region and the national network.
We are seeking someone who thrives yet maintains composure in a fast-paced and competitive digital news environment; who is creative and has a positive attitude; who is an enthusiastic champion of smart, thoughtful and impactful coverage and analysis; and who helps to ensure the newsroom environment is one in which staffers can deliver their best possible performances every day.
The Executive Editor, focused on quality journalism, is responsible for the overall digital and print content of The Montgomery Advertiser. The EE will champion our ongoing digital transformation, subscription and audience growth, focusing on engagement and productivity across all platforms. While we work aggressively to lead coverage in our communities and deliver journalism with impact, we prize a work environment that is highly creative, collaborative and collegial.
As well, the EE is or will become a force in the community, representing our publications on boards and at events and helping to foster and sustain the excellent standing our publications enjoy in the communities we serve. At the center of our mission are our efforts toward improved diversity, equity and inclusion in our newsrooms, our communities and our coverage of underserved communities.
We strive for Journalism with Reach, connecting our communities and readers, and improving their quality of life through information, understanding and empowerment. We must strengthen the bond of trust between our newsrooms and the communities they serve, and this role will be key to that effort.
- Upholding the highest standards of journalistic integrity and credibility while strongly supporting the First Amendment.
- Providing exemplary leadership in helping to develop and execute strategic digital and other plans.
- Leading change management efforts that include strong communication of strategic initiatives, purpose, vision and culture.
- Growing digital subscriptions and engagement across multiple platforms.
- Developing audience.
- Being responsive to the needs of the staff and community; responsive to the needs of the product; and responsive in the speediest sense of the word.
- Attracting, retaining and nurturing top talent.
- Managing, motivating and inspiring staff toward excellence.
- Collaborating with other editors at a high level, contributing to the success of the entire region
- Playing an active role in implementing corporate initiatives and ensuring those initiatives are fully optimized and successful.
- Ensuring your staff understands the publication's and the company's mission and their role in helping to achieve it.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 years of experience as a respected journalism leader, with emphasis on digital content and storytelling platforms.
- Experience in high-level decision-making with complex, impactful or sensitive news content.
- A history of successful leadership, innovation and goal achievement.
- Demonstrated change leader who collaborates and communicates effectively.
- Experience leading and collaborating beyond the confines of a single newsroom.
- Personal charisma, comfortable with public speaking and a commitment to staff interaction.
- Understanding of the changing media landscape and ability to adapt strategies that address continually changing market and consumer needs and desires.
- Strong competitive instincts and intellectual curiosity.
- Ability to effectively manage and coordinate in an environment of accountability.
- Track record in recruiting a highly successful leadership team.
- Willingness to live in the Montgomery area.
- Knowledge of local, regional and state news along with experience in investigative journalism, public service journalism and data journalism.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.