Manager, Category Engineering (MUNDELEIN, IL, US, 60060)
Grainger is North America's leading distributor of maintenance, repair, and operating products and services. Our wide assortment, deep expertise, innovative technology solutions and unparalleled customer service keep customers' operations running and their people safe.
We're looking for passionate people who can move our company forward. We have a welcoming workplace where you can build a career for yourself while fulfilling our purpose to keep the world working. We embrace new ways of thinking and recognize everyone is an individual. Find your way at Grainger.
Provide leadership to engineering staff in the development and implementation of new product introductions for GGS.
You will report to the Senior Manager GGS Product Engineering and Quality
ENGINEERING LEADERSHIP/PROGRAM IMPLEMENTATION
- Evaluate new programs and determine level of engineering effort required based on program complexity, skills requirements, agency requirements, testing and timing.
- Apply appropriate testing and evaluation methods to recommend product, technology, quality and cost improvements. Direct product Continuous Improvement projects
- Approve Engineering Scope and Test Plans, product evaluation reports, Technical Specifications and QA sheets per project schedule
- Direct goal-setting and prioritization of program goals for product teams
- Identify and lead Value-Engineering efforts to reduce product cost while maintaining product quality and reliability.
- Develop and deliver presentations regarding department activities, processes, best practices, and product education
- Analyze product warranty returns and create monthly reports that determine root cause and provide corrective action
- Ensure that product maintenance activities such as technical and customer support, patent research, product recommendations, product revisions, and product training are supplied
- Review technical documents for content and safety information, such as Owner's Manuals, Product Bulletins, catalog copy, and package labeling
- Determine requirements for samples and technical sales presentation material for product line reviews, patent reviews, and for GGS customers to make final purchasing decisions.
- Develop category budget estimates for engineering test equipment and supplies, third-party test services, sample procurement, and any additional resources required for assigned programs.
- Implement category-specific strategic direction to ensure successful program implementation.
- Provide strategic direction to develop program goals
- Develop strategies that contribute to Grainger's continuous improvement system by generating processes to achieve productivity gains.
- Conduct analysis to identify capital and expense requirements such as lab equipment and test and certification services and prepare proposals for budget planning.
- A Bachelor's or Associate's degree in a technical discipline is required. Electrical, mechanical or chemical engineering areas of study preferred
- Minimum of 10 years relevant work experience is required
- Successful record of Project Management experience
- Experience exercising persistence in the face of formidable obstacles and opposition and the ability to work through them. Seek win-win solutions when problems and disagreements arise
- Ability to develop new strategies based on a mixture of analysis and experience for meeting changing goals and objectives.
- Engineering skills are required in product analysis and failures, technical problem solving, multi-tasking, and prioritizing a dynamic workload.
- Expert in using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access, including the ability to write queries, use mail-merge functions, create charts and graphs, and presentations suitable for delivery to senior management.
- Experience procuring, reading and interpreting technical reports, specifications, test data, patents and translating technical information into useful laymen's terms.
Rewards and Benefits:
With benefits starting day one, Grainger is committed to your safety, health and wellbeing. Our programs provide choice and flexibility to meet our team members' individual needs. Check out some of the rewards available to you at Grainger
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans
- Generous paid time off (PTO) and 6 company holidays per year
- Automatic 6% 401(k) company contribution each pay period
- Employee discounts, parental leave, 3:1 match on donations and tuition reimbursement
- A comprehensive set of emotional, financial, physical and social wellbeing programs
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.