Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join the Flyer team. As a member of the Hardware team, you will have substantial responsibility in the design, simulation, testing, and continuous improvement that are critical to safe and efficient flight. You will apply a balanced and effective approach of both analysis/validation and rapid iteration.
- Lead continuous improvement for reliability and robustness, developing test plans and reliability test apparatuses, driving accelerated life testing and other industry-standard approaches
- Iterate on current mechanical systems using rigorous analysis and design approaches to problems like bearing selection, heat transfer, FEA, etc.
- Collaborate on incremental updates to the current vehicle, possibly including updates to motors, airframe structure, etc.
- Work closely with Controls and EEs to define performance specifications and drive component selection
- Support Manufacture / Testing / QA of components
- Collaboratively architect the next-generation Flyer
- BS/BEng ME/Aero/Astro plus 6 years experience, or PhD ME/Aero/Astro plus at least 3 years experience
- Experience in commercial analysis packages for structural FEA, CFD, heat transfer, or large-deformation structural dynamics
- Experience in design and optimization subject to packaging and weight constraints, especially in aircraft systems
- Understanding of composite structures and appropriate use of FEA analysis
- Experience with design for challenging environmental conditions in terms of vibration, water intrusion, corrosion, and thermal
- Familiarity with Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- 5+ years experience 3D modeling using SolidWorks, NX Nastran, Catia, or an equivalent CAD system
- Knowledge of generalized aviation testing set ups, and typical test targets
- Understanding of design control, specification writing, and test burden in regulated environment
- Knowledge and understanding of common manufacturing methods and their best applications
- Experience working with external vendors, domestically and abroad
- Demonstrated history as a self-starter; team player without an ego, great collaborator
- Passion for aviation, and doing whatever it takes to deliver value
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, charitable giving match, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.