Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for an electrical technician and lab manager to join the Flyer Hardware development team. We design, build, test, and fly in rapid iteration, so you’ll be energetic, adaptable and a fast learner who can make sound judgements with limited information. You will assist the engineering team by performing some engineering tasks, first article builds, wiring diagrams, assembly, electrical rework, repair, bring-up, and debugging of new prototype electrical hardware. In addition you will manage the electrical lab, stocking prototyping hardware, maintaining tools and workspaces. Your time will be split between lab management, prototype builds, debugging, and ground testing of hardware.
Specifically your role will include:
- Learn to produce current stable version of most if not all electrical subassemblies
- Assemble and provide feedback on engineering evaluation prototypes
- Provide design feedback to improve quality, build speed, and performance
- Design and document wiring harnesses
- Generate assembly documentation
- Act as a leader in build quality and help develop procedures for hardware inspections
- Develop tests for and debug prototype hardware
- Purchase, and maintain small tools, rework stations, test equipment, 3D printers, etc.
- Maintain inventory of prototyping components and materials
- Teach engineering staff proper technique for rework, wire termination, and equipment usage
- Ensure that the lab is organized, clean, and maximizes creativity and efficiency
You must have a majority of, but not all, of the following experience and skills:
- Broad experience in assembling and debugging interesting electrical hardware
- Ability to read and write wiring harness diagrams
- Excellent solder and crimp skills, including small surface mount components
- A good mechanical intuition
- Ability to read and create engineering drawings
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to produce build documentation to be used by others later
Ideally you would also have the following:
- Some experience with CAD programs such as Solidworks
- Some experience with schematic and PCB layout
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, charitable giving match, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.