Coursera was founded by two computer science professors at Stanford with a vision of providing life-transforming learning experiences to anyone, anywhere. It is the world’s largest online learning platform for higher education. 190 of the world’s top universities and industry educators partner with Coursera to offer courses, Specializations, and degrees that empower over 40 million learners around the world to achieve their career goals. Over 1,800 companies use the company’s enterprise platform Coursera for Business to transform their talent. Coursera is backed by leading venture capital firms such as Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, New Enterprise Associates, GSV Capital, International Finance Corporation, Laureate Education Inc., and Learn Capital.
The Design & Research teams are part of the larger Product Organization and are responsible for gathering learner & partner insights and translating those into a seamless & empowering experience across the platform. These teams are broken down into three branches, Growth & Discovery, Learner Experience, & Enterprise/Partner Experience, similar to other teams within the Product & Engineering Organizations.
As our Head of Design & Research, you will lead a strong team of mission-driven designers and researchers in guiding prospective learners to their educational goals, educators to teaching tools, and enterprises to managing their employee experience. You will help mentor our product design team to envision, develop, and launch experiences that create frictionless discovery, personalized learning, and the first impression that all users, from core learners to university partners to enterprise companies, have with Coursera.
You’ll have a strategic design hand in bringing new products to life, working every day with your partners in Product Management, Data and Engineering. From brand stories to personalized recommendations to data visualization to mobile, the user experiences you design are used by millions of thankful, motivated learners every day to improve their career growth and livelihoods around the world.
- Customer Centric Vision/Product Evangelism: Define, direct and influence strategic vision and direction for product experiences across Learners, Educators and Employers. You will play a key role in customer interactions in order to understand first hand the customer needs. You will set the vision and guide the teams towards customer centric experiences. As customer needs are constantly evolving, you should be able to articulate and guide the team to quickly adapt the customer experience and align with business goals.
- Leadership: You will build, lead, and grow a highly collaborative design & research team. You will act as the thought leader of the UX department, aligning the team towards a unified product experience vision.
- Stakeholders: As the leader of the UX department, you will ensure that communication of the product and departmental progress is delivered to key stakeholders across the company. At this capacity, the Head of UX creates a link and builds credibility and respect between the UX department and the stakeholders, by consistently delivering accurate and timely reports that keep them updated and informed on the product’s progress and performance.
- Product Life Cycle: You must be aware and conversant with all aspects of the product - value proposition, benefits, business model and functionality. You will monitor and drive the product from creation of design concepts to the final launch of the product, including post-launch monitoring and analysis.
- Opportunities/Curious mindset: You are responsible for the identification and cultivation of business opportunities in relation to the product. Understand customers’ requirements and enable the crafting of high-quality and insightful responses thus attracting and/or formulating product approaches that can further attract consumers to the product.
- At least 10 years of experience, with experience leading Design and Research teams to spearhead scalable consumer and enterprise product experiences. Proven and successful work experience in information architecture, consumer experience design, interaction design, and user research.
- Experience in managing teams of 25+ and able to attract high caliber talent
- Experience driving teams through complex projects in a fast growing business. Sets a high bar and measure the team in terms of quality and customer delight.
- Experience developing internal Design Team initiatives, such as defining experience principles, planning and conducting user research, refining UI and interaction standards, contributing to brand strategy and fine tuning Coursera’s delivery process with engineering.
- Experience directing and guiding a team through a complete lifecycle of several launched projects. A track record of building, managing, and motivating teams.
- Be a strong voice for Coursera Design and Product in EdTech world and with Partners. Ability to interact with faculty, customers, and admins at a strategic level.
If this opportunity interests you, you might like these courses on Coursera:
- Learning How to Learn
- Leadership Communication for Maximum Impact: Storytelling
- Leading People and Teams Specialization