General Job Description Purpose:
The purpose of this job description is to communicate the responsibilities and duties associated with the position of Maintenance Supervisor. It should also be noted that responsibilities and duties might not be specifically addressed.
General Position Summary:
The role of the Maintenance Supervisor is to manage the process of maintaining the physical integrity of the community. This involves ensuring a safe, secure and comfortable living environment for residents, visitors, and staff. The Maintenance Supervisor will carry out assigned duties in a safe manner and other duties as requested by the Regional Maintenance Director and the Community Manager.
- The Maintenance Supervisor is responsible for conducting all business in accordance with company policies and procedures and all state and federal laws (such as ADA, Fair Housing, OSHA, HAZCOM Program Lead Based Paint, etc.).
- He/she will perform maintenance tasks personally or delegate to assistants. It will occasionally be necessary to oversee and inspect the work performed by assistants.
- Implement and manage the system for handling resident service requests. Whenever possible, all requests should be completed within 24 hours. Schedule the on-call rotation for the staff and assist with service as necessary.
- Keep all safety material current and readily accessible. This includes MSDS sheets, HAZCOM recordkeeping, Lead Based Paint, Mold & Mildew, Pool log, Refrigerant log, EPA regulations, and OSHA requirements. You must be aware of the condition of physical property throughout the community and immediately correct unsafe conditions.
- Maintain accurate records of preventive maintenance, service requests, and make ready status of all vacant apartments. Also, maintain expenditures in line with the budget unless prior approval from the Community Manager and Regional Maintenance Director has been obtained.
- Schedule and perform minor and routine maintenance on all appropriate equipment on a regular basis. Inspect and maintain all tools in excellent condition.
- Identify all utility meter cut-offs, apartment and fixture cut-offs, sewer clean-outs and prepare maps indicating the same.
- Maintain adequate inventory of spare parts and maintenance materials to handle most common repairs and situations.
- Assist in keeping the grounds neat and free of litter. Rakes, sweeps, and shovels as circumstances warrant.
- Perform any additional duties as assigned by Community Manager or Regional Manager.
- Learn and comply with all company safety rules. Use appropriate safety equipment at all times. Be familiar with all safety features on equipment, machinery, or materials encompassed by job duties. Immediately report any unsafe conditions to the manager.
- Diagnose and perform minor or routine maintenance or repair involving the following on a daily basis:
- Electrical and plumbing (including water lines)
- A/C and heating systems
- Water irrigation systems
- Stairs, gates, fences, patios, and railings
- Tile, carpet, and flooring
- Roofing, gutters, fasteners
- Interior/exterior lights
- Fireplaces, ceiling fans
- Gas fixtures and appliances
- Shutters, doors, cabinets, windows, sliding glass doors Boiler, gas and electric
- Door locks, P.O. boxes and locks
- Security systems
- Ceiling leaks
- Pool area, tile, hot tub/spa, pool furniture
Education, Knowledge, Skills
- Current Certifications in EPA, CPO, Mold Class
- Minimum of 5 yrs experience in property management
- High school diploma required
- High level of proficiency in written, verbal, and arithmetic skills
- Ability to plan and juggle multi task environment and lead maintenance team
- Ability to train and direct maintenance staff
- Ability to earn future designations as required by Industry standards, EPA regulations, OSHA requirements, etc.
- Must possess solid knowledge of carpentry, electrical, plumbing, etc. information as required by daily operations
- Must pass FCM Maintenance Skills Competency Test
The majority of time during a typical work day is conducted out on the property, requiring the ability to walk great distances, lift up to 75lbs., climb and be comfortable performing roof work, operate heavy machinery, and withstand extreme outdoor temperatures. A small portion of time will be spent in an office environment, maintaining records and vendor/supply ordering. The associate must have his or her own hand tools and some equipment as dictated by needs of the community and Regional Maintenance Director. In addition, the associate must have a smartphone device where apps can be utilized (First Communities will provide a cell phone allowance to support this requirement) and reliable transportation.