2022 Fall Internship - Geology (Morenci, AZ, US, 85540)
Freeport-McMoRan (FCX) is a leading international mining company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. FCX operates large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold and molybdenum.
Freeport-McMoRan’s internship program has been referred to as one of the top programs in the mining industry. By providing access to top minds and technology in mining today, our structured internship will provide you the skills and experience to help prepare you for a successful career. Our internship program is tailored to full-time students currently enrolled at an accredited four-year university. Non-summer Internships are temporary part-time or full-time paid positions.
- A foreign national working in a full time status on an F-1 visa may be considered for H-1B visa sponsorship based on business needs, meeting company performance and safety expectations and with site approval.
- A foreign national working in a full time status may be considered for employment-based permanent residency sponsorship, based on business needs, completion of six (6) months of employment, meeting company performance and safety expectations and with site approval.
Under general supervision, may work directly with exploration geologic staff to assist in various projects as needed. May require spending extended time at various Freeport-McMoRan locations. May be a combination of field and office work.
- Creating sample identification labels and submitting samples for laboratory analysis using computerized data transfer systems
- Retrieving laboratory analyses for geological materials and loading results into a relational database
- Coordinating submittal of standard reference materials and preparation and submittal of duplicate samples to laboratory
- Performing routine comparisons of reference and duplicate samples against laboratory determinations from original samples; preparing daily and monthly evaluations of laboratory accuracy and precision
- Entering geological codes into computerized databases and evaluating and validating codes against established standards
- Digitizing geological maps and cross-sections
- Logging drill cuttings and drill core samples to identify rock types, copper mineralization, alteration, and acid consumption
- Mapping pit walls
- District exploration and geology department support
- Compile drilling, geological mapping, geochemical, alteration, geophysical, and property information
- Performs other duties as required
- Full-time student currently enrolled at an accredited four-year university majoring in an appropriate Geology discipline or closely related field
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Possesses strong data analysis and problem solving skills
- Highly accurate and detail oriented
- Possesses strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates initiative, organizational skills and ability to work well under pressure
- Demonstrates ability to collaborate and work effectively in a team environment
- Must be able to demonstrate our core values of honesty, fairness, respect, trust, and integrity
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Work is in an office, mine, or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on elevated platforms, talk, hear and see
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects up to thirty (30) pounds during the course of the workday
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, manufacturing or plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug / alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as per applicable state laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability