General Statement of Duties: Performs a variety of processing and customer service duties in accordance with federal, state and local statutes related to the Clerk and Recorder's Office.
Supervision Received: Works under the direction of the Clerk & Recorder Supervisor-Recording.
Supervision Exercised: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Essential Functions: All of the duties listed are examples of duties that may be required in positions of this class but are not limited to the following:
- Records, indexes and verifies appropriate data using departmental software to process each transaction; processes Civil Union and Marriage licenses, collects fees and appropriate information from the public.
- Assists customers in person, over the phone and through written correspondence.
- Ability to effectively communicate fees, reasons for rejection, policies and procedures verbally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, including the Department of Public Health and Environment, Secretary of State's Office, Department of Local Affairs and the Department of Revenue and members of the community.
- Ensures accuracy of data input, scanned or indexed and reconciles to daily and monthly reports.
- Utilize and maintain multiple specialized databases related to recording, voter registration, vehicle registration, Clerk to the Board, and liquor licensing.
- Review, analyze and process documents associated with customer service transactions to determine compliance.
- Respond to specific questions requiring additional research; direct complex inquiries to supervisor.
- Maintain current knowledge of department and County policies, Colorado Revised Statutes, rules, regulations, and procedures for assigned duties within the Clerk's Office.
- Ability to research and resolve complex customer questions utilizing the appropriate resources.
- Work effectively in a team environment.
- Be willing to travel for training.
- Maintain a cash drawer and keeps secure.
- Able to effectively navigate various websites (i.e. Clerk's Corner, CDPHE, CCCA, SOS, etc.).
- Receive, sort and distribute mail for the Clerk and Recorder's office.
- Perform other work as required in the Office of the County Clerk and Recorder. May include various back up and cross training responsibilities for Clerk to the Board of County Commissioners; liquor licensing applications, renewals and special events; vehicle registrations and renewals; voter registration and election ballot processing. Duties will vary according to job assignment.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Education: A high school graduate, GED or equivalent.
Experience: A minimum of two (2) years of increasingly responsible experience as, or in, a position equivalent to Office Technician or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to learn and maintain technical terminology.
- Must possess demonstrated research skills / knowledge.
- Perform easily and work accurately with high levels of detail.
Language Skills: Must have the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing and the skill to organize materials and present information clearly and concisely in verbal and written form. Must understand and follow verbal and written instructions. Must have proficient knowledge of the English language, proper grammar, punctuation and spelling in other oral and written communication and have the ability to write routine reports and correspondences. Must be able to read, comprehend and apply laws, rules, regulations, policies and standard operating procedures required for this position, as well as, basic how-to documents and manuals.
Interpersonal Skills: Must possess the ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships and interact professionally and diplomatically with fellow employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations and members of the community. Must have a strong customer service orientation, the ability to work collaboratively within a team environment, and manage difficult or emotional customer situations. Must have the skill to organize workflow and accomplish established objectives. Must possess the ability to recognize when confidentiality is required and maintain strict confidentiality. Must maintain appropriate professional boundaries in relationships with customers/clients and the general public. Interact with people of different social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds.
Mathematical Skills: Must have the ability to work with moderate to complex mathematical concepts such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in all units of measure, using whole numbers, fractions, percentages, decimals, proportional rates and ratios. Must be able to analyze technical data and apply it to practical situations. Must have working knowledge of basic financial transactions, such as payment / receipt transactions, balancing a cash drawer, making change, and finding transaction errors.
Reasoning Skills: Must be able to apply principles of logic and reasoning or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems and work independently with minimal supervision. Must be able to prioritize work and simultaneously manage multiple responsibilities including being under pressure of tight deadlines and emotional situations. Must have the skills to solve problems involving concrete and abstract variables in a variety of situations within established guidelines.
Office Technology/Computer Skills: Must be able to effectively use modern office technology and equipment, including computers, calculators, telephone, plat machine, and copiers with scanning and faxing capabilities. Must be proficient in word processing, database manipulation, spreadsheets, email, and the knowledge to save and retrieve documents from a variety of destinations and sources with a high degree of accuracy. Must be able to learn the software and programs related to the position and the County.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit; use hands and fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands or arms. The employee is frequently required to stand for long periods of time; walk; climb or balance; twist; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and smell. Must be able to respond to the customers' needs and perform tasks requiring extensive hand and eye coordination. Must have dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse and other devices and objects. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must have the ability to work in stressful situations. Employee must be able to navigate up and down a ladder and stairs.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and scanning and fax machines. Must have the ability to tolerate and be productive in a quiet to moderate noise level in the work place. Employee will have periodic exposure to hostile clientele.
Special Requirements: Must possess and maintain a valid Colorado Driver's License and satisfactory driving record. Must occasionally work under deadlines with the possibility of working beyond regularly scheduled hours.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.