Job Title: Safety Director – UTS
Responsible for providing leadership in the areas of preparation, coordination, prioritization and resource planning in all aspects of the company's health and safety process and the development of programs addressing specific health and safety issues to vegetation regional locations across California. Accountable for the performance and results, control and coordination of work between the health and safety organization and other departments within the company. Advises senior managers of the progress in executing work plans, issues that emerge, and recommended corrective actions in support of health and safety initiatives. Ensures compliance with federal, state and local government requirements. Decisions are guided by resource availability and functional objectives.
Accountable for formal supervision, coaching, counseling, leadership and technical guidance to assigned staff in support of producing high quality, timely and cost effective solutions to technical and business line objectives that support health and safety initiatives.
The position reports to the Vice President of Corporate Safety and oversees safety activities for the UTS service operations. This position will directly support the Regional Managers, and Sponsors of the individual locations.
- Bachelor's degree in Safety Engineering, Occupational Safety and Health, Industrial Hygiene, or other equivalent technical field.
- A minimum of 10 years' experience in industrial related work experience in industrial hygiene or safety.
- A minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience
- Successful completion of a board safety certification such as Certified Safety professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) or Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM); or ability to obtain within 2 years.
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical direction to both technical and non-technical personnel
- Strong project management skills and the ability to execute large-scale initiatives in a complex, matrixed environment.
- Proven leadership ability in a high performance culture.
- Skilled at building effective teams and leading large groups of individuals in the accomplishment of goals and objectives. .
- Superior oral and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to design and deliver reports.
- Superior facilitation and presentation skills.
- Strong judgment and initiative on resolution of issues.
- A strong customer service orientation and collaborative work style is critical. Team oriented and self-motivated.
- Good driving record.
- Up to 75% travel required.
- Responsible for the overall administration and control of organizational programs and activities within the health and safety organization.
- Establishes policy, goals, and objectives within the health and safety organization and communicates expectations to supervisory and staff personnel.
- Interfaces directly with senior management, responsibility center managers and supervisory staff of all work disciplines as needed to develop programs, analyze problems and provide technical assistance in health and safety areas.
- Directs the activities of the workgroup, providing strategic direction in support of established department business plans.
- Provides financial leadership and independent oversight of the health and safety organization by managing budgets through controlling contracts and purchases. Develops annual expense/capital budget elements and annual performance objectives. Controls expenditures and monitors during the year to gauge conformance to plan and programs. Recommends corrective actions when deviations from plan occur.
- Responsible for the selection, and performance of personnel within the health and safety organization including hiring, promoting, disciplinary activities, contract administrations, salary administration, and job performance evaluations.
- Leads the workgroup towards goal achievement and results by driving the organization to be self-critical and committed to a continuous improvement culture. Establishes and monitors goals, objectives and measurements which drive the organization to a higher level of achievement.
- Develops departmental plans including business, production and/or organizational priorities that establish health and safety enterprise work strategy to ensure safe, reliable and cost effective performance that meets customer expectations and regulatory requirements.
- Serves as chief liaison between the business units and various regulatory agencies, external stakeholders, and other electric industry companies. Provides company leadership and staff with advise, consultation and recommendations on the meaning, interpretations, results, and impact of federal, state and local regulation as it pertains to health and safety issues.
- Represents the business units and provides input to influence health and safety regulations, policy, and standards at the federal and state level.
- Prepares written and verbal reports for various audiences including senior management, staff, regulatory agencies, public officials, stakeholders, and as input for public communication.
- Elevates and reinforces a strong safety culture with the work group through daily leadership, communication and behavior.
Activity: R O F C Activity: R O F C Standing X Seeing X Walking X Reading X Sitting X Reaching X Stooping X Range of Motion X Kneeling X Hearing - Speech Range X Squatting X Depth Perception X Body Twisting X Color Vision X Crawling X Lifting X Sense of Touch X Carrying X Manual Dexterity X Pushing X Speaking Clearly X Pulling X Seeing Distant X Climbing Ladders X Climbing On/Off Truck X Climbing Stairs X Climbing X Balancing X Gripping X Lifting up to 10 lbs X Lifting over 10 lbs to 50 lbs X Lifting up to 50 lbs X
Rarely = less than 10% Occasionally = up to 33% Frequently = up to 66% Continuously = 67% to 100%
Individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without a reasonable accommodation. Individuals with a disability who desire a reasonable accommodation should contact the ADA Coordinator at 1-800-248-8733, ext 1339.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and vets.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.
If you want to view the EEO is the Law poster, please choose your language: