Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec's has an immediate opportunity for a Senior Biologist to work within our gulf coast environmental services program. The successful candidate will direct and oversee aspects of both small and large scale multi-discipline projects with a high degree of technical complexity and a significant marine study component.
The successful candidate will oversee teams conducting sampling design, baseline data collection and data management, statistical analyses, reporting and presentation for a variety of marine projects. The ideal candidate for this position is one that can capitalize on existing client relationships to expand Stantec's profile and market share in the regional market (through a combination of excellence in technical delivery and business development).
Your Key Responsibilities
- Manage, plan, and lead nearshore and offshore field programs (fish, fish habitat, and water quality)
- Prepare or lead junior staff in the preparation of technical reports
- Assemble, coordinate, and analyze large biological datasets or lead junior staff to do so
- Manage tasks and projects according to approved scopes of work, and deliver quality reports on schedule and within budget
- Understand recent and existing practices and techniques for sampling and analysis of fisheries, habitat and water data from both freshwater and marine systems
- Embrace and promote Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) Policies, Procedures, Standards and Guidelines in the execution of all work
- Contribute leadership to the group by providing supervision, training, technical direction, and mentoring to more junior staff and by contributing to proposals and other business development activities
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proven technical, communication, writing and organization skills
- Knowledge of current provincial and federal government regulatory requirements
- Familiarity with freshwater ecology in North American coastal and offshore marine systems
- Required experience in:
- developing field programs and methods to meet specific project objectives
- leading field crews in the execution of fish and fish habitat field programs
- developing health and safety protocols for field programs conducting marine habitat assessments
- preparing NEPA, FERC, Deep Water Port authorization applications and Clean Water Act applications
- collecting, assembling and analyzing data (statistical experience is an asset)
- writing effectively to prepare technical reports
- leading more junior staff in the data management and report preparation
- Experience in some or all the following is an asset:
- developing habitat mitigation and restoration plans
- developing environmental assessments at the federal and state level, with a focus on the US Gulf and Northeast/MidAtlantic regions
- construction monitoring and environmental management planning
- business development and proposal writing
- ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- capable of working with and guiding clients
- Thrives in an environment with diverse and dynamic projects, and enjoys working on multi-disciplinary scopes of work
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Biology is required and a master's degree in Biology is preferred
- Minimum of 20 years of experience as an environmental permitting professional,
- Minimum of 20 years of experience in consulting
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods. Fieldwork may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities, and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location: United States-Alabama-Mobile
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 190003F0