This Finance professional is accountable for effectively and efficiently supporting TCF's income tax compliance functions including all income tax compliance matters such as accounting for income taxes and the filing of all income tax returns and payments. This also includes ensuring well-controlled and efficient processes as well as appropriate communication with both internal and external stakeholders regarding tax compliance-related matters and activities. Reporting organizationally to Tax Compliance Supervisor, this individual will also interact occasionally with other TCF Finance professionals as well as with key Payroll, Benefits, Legal and other personnel.
Major Areas of Responsibility
This position will be part of a team of experts with ownership and accountability for delivering timely and accurate tax compliance reporting. Areas of specific ownership responsibility include:
- Timely and accurately preparing state and local income tax returns;
- Timely and accurately preparing and paying federal, foreign, state and local estimated and extension payments;
- Researching tax law and other sources to ensure the appropriate tax return and tax accounting treatment;
- Preparing a comparison of TCF's effective tax rate with those of other banks in TCF's peer group;
- Assisting with the implementation of tax savings strategies and initiatives relative to the compliance function;
- Effectively utilizing the tax compliance software and internally developed systems and processes;
- Participating in projects affecting tax compliance to assure successful implementation of new or changed processes or finance applications;
- Driving continual process improvements to increase efficiency and maintain credibility; and
- Completing other projects as assigned.
The successful candidate will be a junior or senior in college. Interested in pursuing a bachelor's degree in Accounting.
Key desirable attributes:
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced team environment
- Project management and organization skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multitask effectively
- Adaptive learner; able to grasp new concepts quickly
- Proficiency with various software programs, particularly Microsoft Excel
- Proficiency in research and writing skills
- A passion for details and a sense of urgency
TCF Finance Background
The TCF Finance division is made up of approximately 200 finance and accounting professionals. We strive to be:
- Experts with High Standards;
- Stewards of Strong Controls;
- A Positive Influence on our businesses,
- Focused on Process Improvements; and
- A provider of Opportunities for Employees.
Tax Department Vision
The TCF Tax Department will consistently apply and comply with all financial reporting rules and tax laws while proactively minimizing TCF's tax liabilities and tax risk. It will support and work with the business units to maximize opportunities for tax minimization and tax cash flow enhancement across all tax types. It will provide fair, market-based compensation to its team members while providing opportunities for technical and career development. Its team members will thrive in a professional, fast-paced environment where high expectations and high quality deliverables are the norm. It will enjoy a reputation among its peers and within TCF as one of the more highly regarded tax departments in Minnesota.