Special Notice for COVID-19
The UMN has suspended hiring for most positions. However, we will continue hiring for positions critical to the University's mission and operations at this time. Applications are being accepted for this position and you are encouraged to apply. In-person interviews are suspended indefinitely and will be replaced by interviews in a virtual format. Thank you for your continued interest in working at the University of Minnesota.
High school diploma or equivalent and three years of related experience and training in commercial gardening, ground maintenance, and/or greenhouse work which must include at least six months of related vocational technical training or equivalent education. At the discretion of the hiring authority, the six months of related vocational technical training may be waived for specific vacancies and comparable relevant work experience may be substituted. A pesticide applicator's license will be required within 90 days of hire. A valid Class B Commercial Driver's License is also required.
Ability to lift 50-pounds with or without accommodation.
About the Job
- THIS IS A TEAMSTER BARGAINING UNIT POSITION*
This position has lead worker responsibility for the care of gardens, grounds and lawns on Duluth area University properties, as well as equipment maintenance, record-keeping and ordering supplies. This position reports to the Fleet and Grounds Manager.
- Plant flowers, shrubs, trees, seeds, bulbs.
- Trim, bud, graft, prune, cultivate, stake and water trees, shrubs, and plants.
- Prepare soils for special needs using prescribed methods and materials.
- Spray pesticides. Plans and schedules spraying procedures to keep gardens in healthy growing condition. Determine type of spray needed and mix spraying solutions.
- Instruct and direct student, volunteer and full-time workers in snow removal and general gardening duties, soil care, and safe use of lawn care and snow removal equipment.
- Mow, aerate and fertilize lawns.
- Rake grass and leaves. Trim and straighten garden beds.
- Remove and dispose of dead plants.
- Winterize shrubs and trees.
- Maintain paved surfaces.
- Remove snow and ice on walkways and other areas as needed.
- Operate snow plowing equipment for snow and ice removal.
- Operate riding mowers, loaders, edgers, chainsaws, basket lifts, snow plows, sweepers, weed whips, backpack blowers and other equipment used in ground maintenance.
- Keep records of information as required.
- Data entry and retrieval on computer.
- Repair, adjust, and maintain gardening machinery and equipment.
- Adjust and repair landscape irrigation systems.
- Inventory supplies and equipment periodically.
- Submit requests for equipment, tools, soils, seeds, bulbs, fertilizers, fumigants, insecticides, and other supplies as needed.
- Regularly inspect grounds for safety, appearance and proper maintenance.
- Submit work requests for hazardous conditions and exterior maintenance needs.
- Install, adjust and remove signs and sign posts.
- Demonstrate courteous behavior to all customers, co-workers and other members of the campus community.
- Maintain indoor trees and plants, including seasonal decorations.
- A valid Class B Commercial Driver's License is required.
- Must meet all Department of Transportation's (DOT) rules, 49 CFR Part 40, drug and alcohol testing requirements for the federally regulated transportation industry.
- A pesticide applicator's license will be required within 90 days of hire.
- Lifting soil amendments, fertilizer, etc up to 50 lbs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior to all customers, co-worker s, and other members of the campus community.
- Represents Facilities Management and the University in a positive way by maintaining a professional and neat appearance.
- Participates in team meetings and decisions within the work unit.
- Knows and follows safety procedures and policies in everyday work and uses protective equipment as required.
- Performs special projects and other work-related duties as assigned.
The wage scale begins at $22.93 per hour based on years of experience.
About the Department
UMD Facilities Management supports academic, research, and service mission of the University of Minnesota Duluth by developing, enhancing, and preserving the physical assets of the campus.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will have the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your “My Job Applications“ page and uploading documents in the “Add Attachments“ section.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
Job Open Date: 9/14/2020
Job Close Date: 10/14/2020
If you have started receiving retirement annuity payments from the Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS) or Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) your eligibility for this position may be impacted. Please contact OHR Benefits at 1-800-756-2363 for more information.
The University of Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer. Veterans and individuals from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
- Smoking and chewing tobacco and the use of electronic cigarettes is prohibited on all UMD property, including indoor facilities, campus grounds and University vehicles.*
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Background Check Information
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check, including motor vehicle violations. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
An offer of employment is also contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment drug and alcohol screening.
About the U of M
University of Minnesota, Duluth (UMD)
The University of Minnesota, Duluth (UMD) consistently ranks among the top Midwestern, regional universities in U.S. News and World Report's “America's Best Colleges“ issue.
Overlooking Lake Superior, UMD provides an alternative to both large research and small liberal arts environments and attracts students looking for a personalized learning experience on a medium-sized campus of a major university. A firm liberal arts foundation anchors a variety of traditional degree programs, as well as professional and graduate students that draw on UMD's many research institutes and labs.