Special Notice for COVID-19
The UMN has suspended hiring for most positions. However, we will continue hiring for positions critical to the University's mission and operations at this time. Applications are being accepted for this position and you are encouraged to apply. In-person interviews are suspended indefinitely and will be replaced by interviews in a virtual format. Thank you for your continued interest in working at the University of Minnesota.
Ability to read and write competently in English and lift 50 lbs. to shoulder height.
About the Job
- THIS IS A TEAMSTERS UNIT POSITION.*
Custodial Work requires proficiency in the use of tools, equipment and chemicals required to perform custodial work including the ability to follow instructions for safe use of products and equipment. Safety gear may be required during the use of equipment and chemicals. Work requires repetitive bending, stooping, lifting, load carrying, ascending/descending stairs, ladder climbing, pushing and pulling.
- Perform general custodial work in all common interior/exterior areas of University buildings such as classrooms, laboratories, locker rooms, auditoriums, offices, corridors, stairways, entrances and other areas as directed by supervisor.
- Demonstrate effective, courteous and cooperative behavior to all customers, co-workers and other members of the diverse campus community.
- Represent Facilities Management and the University of Minnesota in a positive way by maintaining a professional and neat appearance.
- Participate in Team meetings and decisions within the work unit.
- Know and follow safety procedures and policies in everyday work. Use protective equipment.
- Scrub and sanitize restrooms, shower rooms and locker areas, using approved cleaning agents and procedures.
- Collect and empty trash and pick up recycling and transport to proper pick up site. Keep trash containers clean.
- Change incandescent and fluorescent lights and clean lighting fixtures as directed.
- Wash walls, scrub floors with a heavy-duty machine, strip hard floors, apply finish, pick up water with wet/dry vacuum, sweep, dust and wet mop.
- Clean carpeting with commercial type vacuum cleaner, use soil extracting and carpet shampoo machines.
- Observe deficiencies in building hardware, doors, windows, fixtures, etc., and write maintenance requests for repair.
- Set up furniture required for University functions.
- Assist in maintaining campus security by opening and/or securing campus outside door and inside door room doors, reporting unusual activities to campus police.
- Provide snow, ice, and debris removal from building entry areas.
- Monitor radio/telephone or pager and respond to trouble calls.
- Manage work-time to allow completion of assigned tasks within allotted schedule.
- Other duties as assigned.
The starting wage for this position is $15.69 per hour.
The scheduled hours for this position could start as early as 4:30 AM and end as late as 12:30 AM. The shifts will be 8-hours in duration during those times, and Monday through Friday.
About the Department
UMD Facilities Management supports academic, research, and service mission of the University of Minnesota Duluth by developing, enhancing, and preserving the physical assets of the campus.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will have the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your “My Job Applications“ page and uploading documents in the “My Cover Letters and Attachments“ section.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
Job Open Date: 9/14/2020
Job Close Date: 10/14/2020
If you have started receiving retirement annuity payments from the Minnesota Retirement System (MSRS) or Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) your eligibility for this position may be impacted. Please contact OHR Benefits at 1-800-756-2363 for more information.
The University of Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer. Veterans and individuals from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
- Smoking and chewing tobacco and the use of electronic cigarettes is prohibited on all UMD property, including indoor facilities, campus grounds, and University vehicles.*
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Background Check Information
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
About the U of M
University of Minnesota, Duluth (UMD)
The University of Minnesota, Duluth (UMD) consistently ranks among the top Midwestern, regional universities in U.S. News and World Report's “America's Best Colleges“ issue.
Overlooking Lake Superior, UMD provides an alternative to both large research and small liberal arts environments and attracts students looking for a personalized learning experience on a medium-sized campus of a major university. A firm liberal arts foundation anchors a variety of traditional degree programs, as well as professional and graduate students that draw on UMD's many research institutes and labs.