Requisition Number: SENIO02754
Ascend Learning; LLC (www.ascendlearning.com) is a leading provider of technology-based educational, curriculum and assessment solutions for high-growth careers in a range of industries, including healthcare, fitness and wellness, and insurance and financial services. We provide outcomes-based solutions aimed at helping people enter, sustain and succeed in their chosen fields. Ascend employs more than 1,300 employees, with headquarters in Burlington, Mass., and offices in Kansas City metro, Phoenix metro, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Ann Arbor, Michigan, New York and the U.K.
Ascend Learning is looking for a lead QA Engineer to provide expertise on scrums teams using scrum methodology on how software is built with quality in mind and assured through manual and automated tests. The Quality Engineering team works in partnership with other Technology Functions and the Business to ensure quality delivery of our products. The team works in an Agile environment and is located globally. The team is independent in driving all decisions and is responsible for continuously improving customer experience, revenue growth and operations enablement through quick turn-around of development of our products with high quality.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Participate in all phases of testing cycles, including functional, Integration, Regression, Load and Performance testing
- Participate in Daily Standups, Iteration Planning, Backlog grooming, Bug triaging etc.
- Participate in design reviews and drive recommendations for product quality and testability, also influencing test strategies and designs across teams
- Create/Update Test Plan for major releases
- Create and execute functional and API testing where applicable and log bugs in Jira
- Execute and maintain test Automation suite and debug failures, Contribute to test automation infrastructure by writing and augmenting test scripts and/or test libraries
- Ensure comprehensive test coverage of functional, API test cases, automation scripts by reviewing the requirement and test suites on a regular basis
- Adhering to quality standards/process, best practice documents and time schedules provided.
- Work closely with offshore team member, communicate timelines, progress, project deliverable to offshore team. Track offshore work progress report to QE Manager, take corrective actions when required.
- Collaborates with core team and scrum team to ensure timely delivery of project
- Work with team members, software developers, scrum master and member of business unit to identify requirements, trouble-shoot test failures in the various test environments
- Anticipates program release problems and takes corrective action, escalating when needed, to resolve and achieve commitments.
- Identifies changing needs and priorities, crafts testing recommendations and communicates appropriately
- Works with team members to proactively identify, communicate functional and usability issues and risks that impede the execution and/or success of the project
- Provides status updates to manager and core team on timely fashion
- Ask the right questions at the right time to reduce the introduction of quality risk
- Follow through and communicate design decisions to everyone on the team
- Work with Architects to ensure the team’s direction is in line with enterprise vision
- Work with DevOps to ensure QA environments are configured to be production-like
- Oversee all aspects of quality assurance including establishing metrics, applying industry best practices, and developing new tools and processes to ensure quality goals are met.
- Work with limited supervision and direction; operate, drive results and set priorities independently.
- Successfully convey information to stakeholders at all levels related to the status of the projects during testing phases.
- Participate as a proactive contributor and subject matter expert
- Demonstrate favorable results through regular leadership and guiding team members.
- Encourage integration and promote obtaining shared goals with team members
- Establish and evolve formal QA processes, ensuring that the team is using industry-accepted best practices
- Willingness to promote and participate in new initiatives
- Experience in leading and mentoring offshore quality engineering teams with minimal supervision
- Prefer 5+ years of professional work experience working with and testing very large databases
- Demonstrated experience with SQL coding/querying skills in SQL Server and/or MySQL
- Experience working with relational and dimensional data models
- Experience implementing best-in-class testing processes, test tools and best practices for databases
- Ability to work with a multi-site / multi-time zone / multinational team including early morning and late-night hours.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment to set and meet aggressive goals with high quality standards
- Understanding of Functional / UI / API Automation Frameworks, Continuous Integration Tools and Load testing tools.
- Hands on Experience using automated testing tools like Selenium Web driver, TestNG, JUnit, Postman.
- Experience with Big Data, Messaging services like Kafka, Confluent etc. is a plus.
- Experience is in the Education Domain is a Huge Plus.
- Experience with performance monitoring tools like NewRelic, Raygun, ExtraHop, Solarwinds is a plus.
Skills & Abilities
- Experience using QA tools and techniques, test design and execution, test reporting, bug tracking systems
- Strong communication skills, onshore-offshore coordination experience.
- Working knowledge of browsers, client-server architectures, Web, Mobile-Web.
- Working knowledge of Software Testing Methodologies, Agile methodology.
- Knowledge of Load & Performance testing (Data & Traffic modeling) is a plus.
- Ability to review complex software design specifications with a focus on testability, test automation and quality improvements
- Expertise in source systems and data, through data profiling and analysis efforts using SQL or other tools
- Validate source to target mappings using a variety of tools, including BusinessObjects Data Services
- Design and develop test plans to validate our data warehouse processes and business intelligence applications.
- Conduct thorough testing of ETL code changes to ensure quality of data produced
- Proficient in/with data warehouse testing
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related software engineering discipline, or equivalent
- At least 5 years of work experience as a Software Quality Engineer
Ascend Learning, LLC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (M/F/Vets/Disabled). No agency or search firm submissions will be accepted. Applications for U.S. based positions with Ascend Learning, LLC must be legally authorized to work in the United States and verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire.