Process Automation Engineer
Kelly Services, Inc. is a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Troy, Mich., providing employment to more than 700,000 employees annually, with skills including office services, accounting, engineering, information technology, law, science, marketing, light industrial, education, health care and home care. Kelly Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Our Client has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Process Automation Engineer for their reverse osmosis and nano filtration business in Minneapolis, MN. They offers the most complete portfolio of industry leading products available, along with a team that is second to none. As the global leader in sustainable separation and purification technologies, they help customers across industries and countries make real progress in ways that not only improve productivity, efficiency and profitability, but also reduce waste, energy consumption and environmental impact. With industry-leading products, extensive expertise and experience in a broad range of water treatment applications, our client is leading the discussion about critical issues related to water, food, pharmaceutical and energy resources worldwide.
The successful candidate will work under the direction of the Global Improvement Leader to fulfill the role of Process Automation (PA) Engineer. This person will provide PLC & HMI expertise for capital projects and improvement projects. This person will work closely with other members of the Technology Center to develop and implement Most Effective Technologies (MET-2) for PLC systems and ensure its consistent use by the plants and project teams.
Primary day to day responsibilities include:
- Manage and execute instrumentation, process control and automation projects - focusing on project definition, detailed design, verification, construction and start up activities. Work closely with other disciplines such as process engineering, MES, manufacturing, operations, maintenance, etc for executing projects.
- Lead activities involving system design, configuration, testing, cutover, and start-up. Ensure compliance with local, regulatory, corporate and business standards for system hardware and software.
- Develop and work with Process Control Strategy Documents (PCSD). Ensure that PCSD are updated when changes are made to the equipment. Ensure that sufficient code descriptions are included with the PLC code to document the intended control strategy.
- Train and mentor Engineers, Plant Process Control Coordinator and Maintenance Technicians who have process control / automation responsibilities.
- Engage our alliance partners and contracted engineering companies for instrumentation and process control /automation activities as needed to supplement business resources to meet business expectations. Manage their project performance, and monitor the quality of their engineering and maintenance services.
- Maintain and improve health of site process automation systems in conformance with business and Corporate requirements. Follow appropriate management of change for the site maintenance and project activities of ProcessControl Systems and Process Information.
- Support day to day Process Control activities at the plant such as making program changes to improve asset capability, assist in troubleshooting control system problems, adding simple capabilities, etc.
- Participate in machine risk assessment and gap closure activities, provide direction related industry standards on safe guarding.
- Bachelor of Science or higher in a Engineering or technical degree
- Minimum of at least 3 years of experience in process control, design, programming and automation of a 24/7 manufacturing operation
- Experience with verifying field wiring, instrument checkout, motors, electrical systems maintenance, PID tuning, commissioning of PLCs, networks, drives and evaluating equipment performance
- Domestic and international travel may be required (in the range of 25%-35% during start up periods) in support of business automation needs.
- On/off shift support will be needed for startup support.
- A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States on a permanent basis (U.S. citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident, or Qualifying Asylee/Refugee).
- Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Industrial Automation, or Process Control degree
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with programming languages (i.e.Allen Bradley ControlLogix, SLC, MicroLogix, PLC-5 & HMI programming languages and technologies)
- Experience in Allen Bradley FactoryTalk suite of products (RSLogix 5000, RSLogix 500, RSLogix 5, RSLinx, FT Directory, FTView)
- Knowledge in other programming languages such as Visual Studio .NET, SQL Server databases
- Experience with machine risk assessment process and industry standards on machine safe guarding
- Networking technologies such as Ethernet and DeviceNet
- Ability to understand electrical diagrams
- Experience with servo and VFD drives
- Experience in batch technology
- Six Sigma certification
NOTE: Domestic relocation assistance is available for this opportunity.
This position is recruited for by a remote Kelly office, not your local Kelly branch. To be considered for this position, you must submit your resume andm738@ kellyservices.com or feel free to call Andrew McAlpine at 734-752-8431