Requisition Number: PREPR01772
Star Tribune, the largest and most-trusted news organization in the Midwest, is seeking a Prepress Specialist to fill an exciting but critical role on our Operations team. Join a team with competitive pay and a great work-life balance. While Star Tribune has adopted a “remote work” approach, this role may require some days in office at our headquarters located in downtown Minneapolis.
The Prepress Specialist’s primary responsibilities include the layout of the classified and obituaries pages in our newspaper utilizing Adobe Photoshop to crop and remove items as well as prepare photos for printing. The Prepress Specialist will monitor the electronic page and the flow of information to our printing facility located in the North Loop of Minneapolis and outside printing partners.
While we are willing to train someone for this role, the qualified candidate must have proven Adobe Photoshop experience and be comfortable with all aspects of Microsoft 356. The individual must also have effective communication skills, be a self-starter, and be able to adapt to a fast-paced environment. This is a part-time evening position that requires working some weekends and holidays as Star Tribune has a seven-day week publisher.
- Monitor page flow and ensure that all materials are electronically moving to desired destinations by scheduled times.
- Verbally communicate any issues to process partners that may impact scheduled press starts and any page, ad or system that is not built or operated to our standards.
- Obituary photo processing and layout using Adobe Photoshop to manipulate photos based on customers request and attach completed image to the appropriate obituary.
- Insert ads and filler as needed and provide proofs to internal customers.
- Verify with news and operation partners to ensure all daily/ nightly expectations are met.
- Initiate and monitor nightly upload of pages to our electronic and post-press partners.
- Demonstrate effective leadership skills effectively and ethically.
- Comfortable in Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft 365
- Previous knowledge of production and manufacturing processes
- Previous experience in a customer service, desktop publishing, Adobe Suite of products, and printing industry preferred
- Ability to learn new software and have basic interactive/online skills and knowledge of various mass file transfer systems
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure of a deadline
- Good communication, collaboration, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent organization skills, attention to detail, and quality orientation
- High quality customer service skills
- Effective time management
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 20 pounds and sit/stand for 90% of the time
Please submit a resume and letter explaining why you are the best person for the job
Some top benefits include: a new downtown office with gym access to Steele Fitness in the building and access to rooftop amenities in warm months; commuter benefits; competitive medical and dental insurance; paid time off; 401(k) matching; tuition assistance; and unlimited digital access to Star Tribune. In addition, Star Tribune has partnerships with many organizations that offer our employees a variety of discounts!