A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in a related field or the equivalent experience is required. In addition, a minimum of 8 years' of progressively responsible experience in Human Resources, preferably in diverse functional roles, businesses, and industries, is required. A Master's degree plus a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience is preferred. PHR or SPHR designation is preferred. Any similar combination of education and experience will be commensurate.
Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Human Resources Advisor. The position provides an opportunity to enhance the performance and profitability of an organization that supports some of our nation's fundamental defense services. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
- Works closely with senior leaders and managers to provide expertise and hands on support in multiple areas including: workforce planning, employee retention/relations/engagement, management coaching, performance management and change management
- Works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships and increase engagement and retention
- Strong, proven experience in employee relations required.
- Previous experience in a high-tech manufacturing environment a plus.
- Implements and administers human resources programs, policies, and practices as a stand-alone resource or in a shared-services HR model
- Assists in the administration, development and implementation of department programs, policies and practices.
- Responds to employee inquiries, questions and complaints; provides information, guidance and direction on HR programs, processes, and procedures to employees and managers
- Tracks and compiles issue logs and complaints; provides feedback on HR policy and programs to area specialists and management
- Works closely with management to provide hands on support in multiple areas, including: strategic workforce planning; organizational development; talent management, development and training; leadership development; change management; performance management, employee relations; employee engagement (culture, recognition and retention), compensation and benefits, HR policies and procedures; workforce reduction strategies, layoff, and termination processes; equal employment and affirmative action and employment. May be involved in Labor Relations and Negotiations.
- Works with management on Human Resources programs, policies and practices, making recommendations consistent with our business strategies and goals
- Anticipates client needs, assessing the full requirements; identifies solutions to non-standard tasks / queries.
- Partners with employees and management to communicate various Human Resources policies, procedures, laws, standards and government regulations
- Responds to employee relations issues (to include managing and accessing risks, overseeing and/or conducting thorough and objective investigations, and determining appropriate actions). Acts as a mediator, mentor and emergency responder.
- Provides performance management guidance to line managers and employees.
- Provides career development counselling through initiatives such as development profiles, defining mentors and coaching opportunities. May be required to provide day to day coaching.
- Acts as a point-of-contact and advisor on compensation actions, including individual promotions, equity adjustments and related actions.
- Tracks and analyzes trends on key human resources metrics for purposes such as headcount analysis, pipeline projections and other analysis as needed with interaction from finance.
- Responds to and counsels employees with work related issues and requests including, but not limited to harassment allegations and civil rights complaints
- Keeps apprised of federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations in order to ensure Company compliance
- May require a security clearance
- Travel may be required
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experienced working with management and employees to implement and administer HR strategies and initiatives.
- Having wide-ranging experience uses professional concepts and company objectives to resolve moderate to complex issues in creative and effective ways.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills; is organized and self-starting having the ability to work with little direction.
- Level of comfort and ability to deal with complex HR related issues which may involve conflict resolution and mediation.
- Advanced ability to objectively coach employees and management through complex, difficult, sensitive and emotional issues.
- Results oriented with a demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities with solid time management/organization skills; knowing when to ask for help and ability to delegate to others.
- Networks with key contacts outside own area of expertise.
- Provides superior customer service to business and ability to support outside the box thinking to support the business needs.
- Investigative and mediation skills.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, team effectiveness and relationship skills.
- Ability to engage, inspire and influence people.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written, listening; comfortable with conducting presentations, having difficult conversations; mentoring and coaching ability.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office programs; and HR applications
- Capacity to work with people at all levels.
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000 top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran.