Public Safety IT is looking for a Full Stack Java Developer to join the Agile team. The team is looking for a software engineer who is passionate about making a difference and making things better for our community. Bring your ideas, your enthusiasm, and your fresh perspectives. The team has a wide variety of databases and is building data-driven dashboards to display analytics to give people information to make better decisions. Help find opportunities to support the County's Disparity Reduction initiative. Help pioneer new ways to make government work better for constituents in the digital age.
Location and hours:
This position is located at the 701 Building at 701 4th Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55415. Work hours will be Monday through Friday, any time between the hours of 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
About the position:
This position is eligible to receive an additional cash merit of up to $1,752.44 that can be earned annually based on performance.
In this position, you will:
- Work collaboratively on Agile scrum teams.
- Write custom reports and dashboards using Power BI and SQL Server Reporting Services.
- Support public-facing websites for the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office.
- Ensure that solutions meet and exceed customer expectations by developing and running manual and automated tests.
- Write product backlog items to accurately reflect requested work and publish supporting documentation.
- Participate in all team meetings and collaborate to continually improve team processes and productivity.
Need to have:
One of the following:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a technology field.
- Two-year college/vocational technical degree in a technology field or approved information technology certificate.
- Completion of five college/vocational technical technology courses.
- Completion of approved IT Hennepin County internship and one year or more of information technology experience.
- Two years or more of technology experience.
Nice to have:
- Professional experience:
- Programming in Java.
- Using the Spring framework.
- Creating and maintaining sustainable data management structures.
- Working on a collaborative team using Agile practices.
- Performing project management with the ability to:
- Research, analyze, and write proposals, justifications, and project plans.
- Develop and implement technology upgrade, backup, and recovery strategies.
- Manage implementation schedules.
- Object Oriented and design patterns that avoid redundancy and promote efficiency, legibility, testability, and maintainability of code.
- SQL databases.
- Windows and Linux operating systems.
Experience using one or more of the following:
- Atlassian products, including JIRA and Confluence.
- Power BI, SQL Server Reporting Services and Business Objects.
- Continuous integration tools, such as Jenkins.
- SharePoint Online.
- User Experience (UX) and dashboard design.
About the department:
Public Safety IT supports mission critical systems used by the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office and their external Public Safety partners and are part of a rotating on-call support schedule.
About Hennepin County:
Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile.
Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at www.hennepin.us/employees.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Your future. Made here.
This position is internally classified as an IT Developer I
Click here to view the job classification specification.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. Final candidates will be required to pass a drug test and background check.
If you have any questions, please contact: