- Job Summary:
The Fitness Center Staff is responsible for providing customer service to members in the fitness center and follows the YMCA of the USA, Health and Fitness guidelines. The incumbent creates a safe, enjoyable, and positive atmosphere that promotes member wellness in accordance with the YMCA policies and procedures.
- Essential Functions:
- Provide quality programs that meet the needs of the community and members.
- Participate in instructing various programs, which may include Adult Fitness Consultation, FitStart, Exercise Equipment Orientations, Fitlinxx Orientations, and Youth Fitness Orientations.
- Communicate and enforce policies and guidelines for the equipment area along with keeping this area safe, clean, and functional.
- Adhere to all guidelines and expectations as outlined in the YMCA Fitness Center Staff Manual.
- Encourage members to participate in health and fitness programs such as personal training, specialty classes, group exercise classes, etc.
This position reports to the Program Manager/Senior Coordinator who reports to the Director. The incumbent works closely with their supervisor and the Fitness Department Staff. The position involves regular and direct interaction with members and participants. This position may receive work direction from the Fitness Coordinator.
- Education and/or experience related to fitness, exercise physiology, or health and wellness
- Certifications required within 30 days of hire: CPR/PR/First Aid/AED and Oxygen
- Attend and successfully complete within 3 months of hire: YMCA Healthy Lifestyles
- Attend and successfully complete within 6 months of hire: Foundations of YMCA
Strength and Conditioning; and YMCA Healthy Lifestyles
- Excellent customer service and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with all age groups and ability levels
- Bachelor's degree in Health/Exercise Science or related field
- National Certification in Group Fitness
- National Certification in Personal Training
- Ability to understand member needs and communicate the benefits of participating in health and wellness programs
- Work Conditions:
- Ability to stand on feet majority of work shift.
- Stretch, bend, and lift up to 50lbs and move heavy equipment on a daily basis.
- Ability to recognize and react calmly and effectively in the event of an emergency.
- Additional Notes:
Supervisory titles may change depending on branch.
This job description represents the major functions of the position, but it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The incumbent is also responsible for taking direction from branch representatives in completing projects or performing duties deemed necessary for the branch or Association's success.