The Data Analytics team within the BP Supply & Trading, Trading Analytics organization comprises Quantitative Analytics, Data Strategists, Market Intelligence and Core Strategists. Linked by the common themes of data, numerical algorithms and technology, the team seeks to add value to the business by providing new models, tradable insights, distinctive data sets and agile technology solutions that empower the analyst community and advantage the commercial teams.
The Core Strategist team provides direct technology support to analysts, worldwide. Located in each of BP’s main trading locations, these individuals possess expert IT knowledge and strong technical skills, combining deep programming know-how with practical experience of analytics, for example data science methods, statistics, numerical algorithms, derivative pricing or optimization. Tasked with providing prompt, practicable technology solutions to analysts day-to-day, they also partner with the central IT organization for strategic deliveries, including modern data repositories, data ontologies, new analytical toolkits, visualization technologies and cloud compute.
An opportunity for a Python Developer - Core Strategist is now available in our downtown Chicago office. Working in a close partnership with the head of oil analytics, you will design and build solutions to challenging business problems in a highly dynamic commercial environment.
- As part of a highly technical global team you will build direct relationships with key analysts and commercial stakeholders, understand their business requirements and immediate goals.
- Highly networked within both the Core Strategist team and the central IT organization you will play a leading role in advancing the analyst technology agenda across regions.
- Be held by the business as a deep technical authority and source of expert guidance to the analyst community. Provide day-to-day problem solving support and proactively share best practice.
- Create efficient, resilient and innovative solutions using modern data analytics technologies that enable analysts, inform decision making and drive revenue generation.
- Partner with analysts to develop custom interactive dashboard visualization solutions using web technologies and third-party frameworks.
- Design and build scalable, reusable components and frameworks in-line with mandated architectures. Rigorously adhere to software development best practice for enterprise-grade applications.
- Make significant contributions to the shared proprietary model libraries for use by analysts globally.
- Work with the architecture and infrastructure teams in central IT to ensure that designs are aligned with the company technology strategy. Provide input to IT and play a key interfacing role between them and the analyst community
- Act as a Trading Analytics Product Owner for strategic projects undertaken by the centralized IT teams
- Undergraduate degree in a quantitative discipline, plus a postgraduate degree in a STEM subject.
- Strong academic record.
Essential experience and job requirements:
- You will have deep practical experience and knowledge of:
- Python programming, including knowledge of pandas, numpy, Jupyter. Ability to write production ready, highly reliable, tuned (pythonic) numerical code.
- Web services architecture, ideally within Python context (flask, django). Practical experience building web applications and web services.
- Strong web technology skills and understanding.
- Knowledge of SQL and RDBMs.
- UI development, with a strong emphasis on data visualization. Knowledge of charting frameworks including Plotly, matplotlib and bokeh.
- Object oriented programming in a second language, for example Java, C++, C# or.NET.
- Software development industry best practice, including unit, integration and regression testing. Build and deploy patterns.
- Source code control systems, preferably Git.
Integrated Supply & Trading
Job Family Group
Supply & Trading Group
Yes - Domestic (In country) only
Yes - up to 10%
United States of America
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
Our supply and trading business connects BP to the world’s traded markets for oil, gas, power, refinery feedstocks and currencies. We market BP’s equity crude oil and natural gas, import feedstocks for our refinery system and buy products to meet marketing demand. We offer a combination of unique expertise in physical supply and trading, innovative financial structures, and world-class analytics to deliver long-term value, from wellhead to end customer.
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test(and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½” scalp, or > 2 cm/¾” body – arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com; or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
Read the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the poster supplement - for more information about Equal Employment Opportunities. (Spanish version)
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement