There's never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won't happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why work for us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support employee volunteer interests and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
Fuel Economy Certification Engineer:
The Emissions Certification and Compliance department's Fuel Economy and Compliance Reporting Group is seeking a Fuel Economy Certification Engineer to lead the generation of Fuel Economy Labels, Corporate Average Fuel Economy Reports, and Green House Gas Reports.
The Fuel Economy Engineer will calculate and create fuel economy labels which includes obtaining Government Agency Approvals. They will also generate the annual fuel economy and greenhouse gas reports used to demonstrate GM's compliance. The fuel economy engineer will need to have knowledge of fuel economy regulations specified by NHTSA, EPA, and CARB. The fuel economy engineer will also work closely with IT to provide requirements for future regulatory requirements.
- Coordinate the creation of annual fuel economy labels, including the calculation of the fuel economy values, communication of the results with the various government agencies, and creation of the actual fuel economy labels.
- Oversee the process and quality checks of fuel economy calculations.
- Interface with program Energy Engineers on fuel economy testing plans, and fuel economy modes.
- Verify all deliverables have been completed for official fuel economy labels, including coastdown audits and surveys.
- Provide direction relative to fuel economy regulation requirements.
- Completion of fleet average fuel economy / GHG reports.
- Provide direction for IT enhancements of current and future tools.
- Document the standard work and roles & responsibilities for Fuel Economy, CAFE, and GHG.
- Shares lessons learned with peers and manager.
- Keeps Manager informed of assignment status, timing, and technical issues.
- Actively identifies new areas for learning and takes advantage of learning opportunities.
- Ensures high quality, on time completion of tasks.
- Proactively communicates effectively with all stakeholders.
- Execute functional requirements independent of Manager's direction.
- Author technical reports and effectively present fuel economy work, both within and external to GM.
Required Skills and Experience:
- BS Engineering with 2 years' experience
- 2 years IT requirement specification experience
- Experience as company representative to Government agencies and/or industry associations
- Proficient knowledge of GM North America Portfolio
- Proficient user of GM computer applications including MS Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Evidence of project management experience, including managing of multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated understanding of data analysis.
- Works well both independently and on teams
- Enthusiasm to learn
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- 5 years engineering experience related to fuel economy on vehicles and/or propulsion systems.
- DFSS Certified
- Experience with government agencies and/or industry associations
- Peer reviewed publications in SAE or other industry recognized forums
- Visual Basic programming.
- Fuel Economy / GHG Regulation Knowledge
- Managerial Courage
- Intellectual Horsepower
- Action Oriented
- Drives for Results
- Builds Relationships
- Technical/Professional Expertise
- Displays High Integrity and Honesty
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- This position requires the ability to legally operate a motor vehicle on a regular basis*