Safety Manager - Midlothian, TX
Job ID: 406459
Ash Grove Cement, a CRH company, provides portland and masonry cements to help build the foundation and infrastructure for the world around us. We ship millions of tons of cement from our plants and network of terminals located across North America. When you work for Ash Grove, you are connecting to something bigger. Join our team and help Ash Grove build America.
In coordination with corporate health and safety personnel, administers the plant safety program intended to reduce or eliminate industrial injuries or illnesses or losses from equipment or property damage, and promotes plant operation in accordance with federal and state safety laws and regulations. Promotes a positive safety and health image of the plant and corporation in the community. Uses independent judgment in performing job responsibilities. Works with company and plant policies and objectives. Refers to plant manager or corporate director of health and safety when clarification or interpretation of organization policy is needed.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Works toward compliance with federal, state and local safety laws and regulations. Accompanies inspectors during inspections and maintains all required records regarding safety activities. Serves as the liaison between the plant and safety regulatory agencies in coordination with corporate safety personnel.
- Administers safety training and awareness programs for plant employees in an effort to prevent occupational injuries, illnesses, equipment and property damage, increase awareness of safety risks, and promote compliance with safety regulations and programs. Assists corporate safety personnel in the development of plant training and awareness programs as appropriate.
- Works with supervisors to develop plant safety procedures for their work areas, and assists in ensuring that they are consistently followed.
- Administers the fire protection program. Coordinates the inspection and maintenance of fire protection systems.
- Makes recommendations for the purchase of safety equipment including safety shoes/boots, glasses, and first-aid supplies.
- Oversees the activities of Safety Committee meetings at the plant and provides recommendations as needed.
- Conducts monthly mass safety meetings at the plant.
- Conducts or coordinates annual MSHA 8-hour refresher training for all plant personnel.
- Assists plant supervisors in performance of weekly tailgate safety meetings, providing guidance on topics and attending when schedule allows.
- Administers Safety Training Observation Program (STOP) at the plant and provides monthly updates to plant management and conducts mentored observations with trained observers.
- Conducts in-house inspections to recognize and eliminate at-risk conditions and practices.
- Conducts industrial hygiene testing including noise and dust surveys as needed and enters data into the company database.
- Investigates occupational injuries, illnesses, and equipment and property damage in cooperation with the workers' compensation insurance carrier. When needed, conducts root-cause incident investigations using TapRoot methodologies.
- Maintains all proper records regarding plant injuries, illnesses, and property and equipment damage.
- Ensures plant responsiveness to emergencies ranging in severity from minor first-aid to life-threatening emergency procedures.
- Conducts or coordinates MSHA Part 46 (which can include New Miner, Experienced Miner, Task, Refresher and Site-Specific Hazard Awareness), first-aid and CPR training for plant employees on a regular basis.
- Trains employees in the use of Safety In Motion High Five Techniques to help prevent musculoskeletal disorders.
- Responsible for implementation and maintaining plant personnel health and safety training records.
- Human Performance – support the human performance initiative to improve safety and operational performance
- Risk Assessment – ensure that each task that involves a Risk that Kills has a risk assessment completed; ensure that employees have tools for completing field level risk assessments (e.g. use of Hazard Recognition Plus or HRP) for daily tasks and job assignments
- Risk Tolerance – ensure that existing and newly hired employees receive training in risk tolerance and apply those principles in the performance of daily work
- Life Saving Rules – know, understand and ensure adherence by employees, contractors, vendors and visitors to the Life Saving Rules
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Effective leadership skills
- Proficient in English written and verbal communication skills
- Work requires strenuous physical exertion such as frequent climbing of tall ladders, lifting objects weighing up to 25 pounds, crouching or crawling in restrictive areas, and exposure to extreme temperatures and noises.
- Must be capable of using and maintaining databases used to store MSHA citation records as well as industrial hygiene data, injury and incident investigation data, and behavioral safety observations.
- Must promote the use of The Health Bridge (nurse case management firm) and the company’s early return-to-work program, including the use of Bridge Assignments.
- Must maintain personal proficiency level by attending appropriate professional development courses.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- 3 years of experience in the safety and health field in cement, mining or related industry. (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree in industrial hygiene, safety management, or related field preferred, or college degree with equivalent industry experience.
What CRH Offers You
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development, and internal promotion
CRH has a long and proud heritage. We are a collection of hundreds of family businesses, regional companies and large enterprises that together form the CRH family. CRH operates in a decentralized, diversified structure that allows you to work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of large international organization.
If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Once you click apply now, you will be brought to our official employment application. Please complete your online profile and it will be sent to the hiring manager. Our system allows you to view and track your status 24 hours a day. Thank you for your interest!
Ash Grove Cement, a CRH company, is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.