The Delivery Manager III position is responsible for managing the Agile Delivery of 2+ (new or established) squads and would be able to handle potentially challenging team dynamics related to location, personalities, levels of experience, deliverables, timelines, etc. The position should have the ability to solve more complex problems and implement/suggest newer processes from the Agile community to increase squad efficiencies. A Delivery Manager III can actively act as an agent of change.
Squad members look to them for mentorship and coaching on agile practices. The expectation is that they will have the ability to apply the skills and tools outlined below while also finding and sharing best practices and participating in stretch assignments to create process efficiencies and continuous improvement exercises for the department. In the later stages of this role, they can be expected to start mentoring more junior members of the team.
Responsibilities include the following, as well as all other duties as assigned.
- Agile Practices
- Successfully implement processes and best practices.
- Drive team towards increased efficiency through experimentation and collaboration.
- Applying core agile values and principles
- Applying key agile methodologies and strong understanding of their associated roles and responsibilities, with the ability to provide basic coaching to others in roles outside of own discipline.
- Broad, relevant, practice-based knowledge in the depth of the Agile framework and Lean principles
- Act as a neutral process holder who guides groups through processes that help them come to solutions and make decisions
- Share knowledge, skills, and perspectives that foster personal and professional growth of others
- Guide the creative process to inspire team potential by following their agenda rather than guiding by knowledge, opinion or influence
- Develop individual mastery persona with a focus on Technical, Business, or Transformation Mastery
- Ability to facilitate daily stand-up for multiple established teams, or a blend of one forming team and one established team
- Ability to facilitate other core agile ceremonies (retrospectives, planning, showcases, reviews)
- Ability to resolve team impediments, and coordinate with other Delivery Managers to prevent squad from impeding other squads
- Ability to coach squads on Agile practices to make sure the squads are getting the best out of being agile
- Ability to use a variety of agile tools and techniques to help the squad keep a delivery and learning cadence that helps to remain focused on delivering value towards the product vision.
- Skilled in the Agile framework and applicable methodologies and a passion for learning new tools and latest trends.
- Passion for actively sharing and re-apply skills and ideas across the Agile community to continuously improve and explore best practices.
- Delivery of Outcomes
- Work closely with squad members to understand product requirements
- Ability to gather and generate metrics around delivery and improvement
- Ability to clearly communicate dependencies and roadblocks to stakeholders
- Generate/Maintain multi-team relationships
- Generate/Maintain team and product documentation
- Ensure the squad has everything needed to deliver the outcomes in the product roadmap, including environment, metrics visibility, resources (people and other), etc.
- Manage stakeholder relationships, support the Squad Leads, report to the wider organization, and whatever else necessary to support the squad in delivering valuable outcomes for our customers.
- Ability to challenge/question existing processes when needed and educate people outside the squad when it will help keep the squad moving faster and ensure everyone is working together.
- Empower the squad to question if they are doing the most important thing and if they are doing it in the best way.
- Ability to spot “warning signs“, to foresee and remove blockers before they become problematic.
- Identify, escalate, and mitigate risks to enable successful delivery of the product.
- Team Health & Happiness
- Keep performance and morale high under difficult and challenging circumstances.
- Energize the team and cultivate a high-performance culture
- Manage squad dynamics and create a culture of innovation
- Seek constructive outcomes in discussions.
- Provide enthusiastic and encouraging feedback on priorities, objectives and expectations
- Possess a commitment to the health and happiness of the squad members and how they work together.
- Build trust, encourage and motivate the squad, and protect them from external distractions so they are able to focus.
- Passion for making working with the squad, and within the organization, an enjoyable experience.
- Act as a change agent, challenging the status quo where it does not enable the squad.
Technical Skills, Experience and Education:
- 3+ years of agile facilitating experience
- 3+ years working with multiple functional teams
- 4-year college degree or equivalent experience required
- Agile certifications a plus
- 1+ years of experience with agile software development life cycle from conception to delivery
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills.
- Good negotiation skills
- Good ability to analyze Agile artifacts
- Ability to run agile reports, including custom reports.
- Intermediate knowledge of Agile tools (JIRA, Confluence)
- Strong Knowledge of MS Products
- Strong organizational/task prioritization skills and follow through.
- Strong decision-making, conflict resolution, and community building skills.
Elsevier is a global information analytics business that helps institutions and professionals progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance for the benefit of humanity. We help researchers make new discoveries, collaborate with their colleagues, and give them the knowledge they need to find funding. We help governments and universities evaluate and improve their research strategies. We help doctors save lives, providing insight for physicians to find the right clinical answers, and we support nurses and other healthcare professionals throughout their careers. Elsevier provides digital solutions and tools in the areas of strategic research management, R&D performance, clinical decision support, and professional education; including ScienceDirect, Scopus, SciVal, ClinicalKey and Sherpath. Elsevier publishes over 2,500 digitized journals, including The Lancet and Cell, more than 35,000 e-book titles and many iconic reference works, including Gray's Anatomy.
Elsevier is part of RELX Group, a global provider of information and analytics for professionals and business customers across industries. Elsevier employs over 7,000 people in more than 70 offices worldwide. We are an employer of choice, attracting and developing talented and creative people who thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package as well as a real opportunity for career growth in a growing organization. Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact 1.877.734.1938 or firstname.lastname@example.org.