This role is part of the Science, Technology and Medical Journal (STMJ) Publishing Organization. In total STMJ consists of approximately 660 people based in offices in the UK, USA, The Netherlands, China and India. STMJ is responsible for publishing over 1800 journal titles (24% of the global market), with new journal launches and society contract acquisitions ensuring annual growth. There are 3 vertical publishing units: Life Sciences & Social Sciences, Physical Sciences and Health & Medical Sciences, headed up by a SVP. Each unit has 5 to 8 scientific/specialty areas, headed up by a Publishing Director, and is responsible for the strategic approach to their specific audiences which consist of, amongst others, authors, editors, researchers and societies etc.
The PSIS (Publishing Support & Insights Specialist) role supports author, reviewer, editorial and society relationships by generating data and preparing requested editorial reports to the publisher's specifications. The PSIS will develop a thorough knowledge of the various systems used and where to get necessary data. They will also be expected to assist the publisher in fulfilling various administrative and editorial duties required in the management of journals or in direct support of portfolio objectives.
Key Result Areas
- Gather data, information and facts by using existing reports & Elsevier systems or build custom reports and analyses. (Examples include: Downloads/Product Usage, editorial performance statistics, citations.)
- Prepare, edit, format, proofread and print publisher documents including presentations and reports, for Publishers to use in proposals, editorial appointments and meetings.
- Communicate with Publishing Director and Publishers to ensure alignment of work with Publishers requirements. Communicate with internal and external contacts about queries and status of ongoing activities.
- Take up variety of additional tasks as may be required to support general Portfolio objectives and publishing activities including work on special projects, new journal launches, website maintenance, Abstracting & Indexing applications.
- Depending on portfolio, the role could include a bespoke society service, processing Special Issues, Reviews or Procedia or administrative assistance for acquisitions.
- Prepare, edit and format internal forms and documents for new journals, journal changes and journal transfers.
- Contribute to building and maintenance of the Centre of Excellence to share best practices and contribute to the efficiency of the Global Publishing Services Team.
Functional and Technical Competencies
- Very strong Microsoft Office skills: Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint;
- Ability to quickly learn Elsevier's databases and internal systems;
- Numeric and data skills, and an analytical mindset;
- Ability to initiate and track multiple projects at the same time;
- Strong eye for detail;
- Good communicator, both verbally and written;
Education, Knowledge, Skills, and Experiences
BA / BS in English, Science or related areas; some general office experience would be useful, preferably in a publishing environment.