Position Title: Process Engineer
Reports to: Engineering Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Philadelphia, PA
The main functions of a Process Engineer are focused around two key activities of the production area: identifying and mitigating packaging issues for existing business through strong engineering and process improvement methods, and designing and supporting packaging processes for new business.
Both activities are focused around technical and operational support to the production, maintenance, and support staffs in the areas of process improvement, equipment modification and optimization, safety and quality improvement, and increasing throughput. This is achieved through individual effort and facilitation of teams, tracking and analysis metrics, strong understanding and utilization of good engineering practices, project management, and the use of Lean Six Sigma techniques.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING (OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED):
- Define processes for new business.
- Work with staff on development of new equipment performance requirements.
- Assist Validation with OQ and PQ of new packaging business.
- Write and modify SOPs relating to the production area and assist in training of affected personnel.
- Initiate investigation activity and troubleshoot problems in packaging; discovers causes of non-conformance, i.e., slow throughput, poor quality and/or unsafe design.
- Writes and executes engineering protocols as needed.
- Uses DOE (Design of experiments) to control variables while testing.
- Applies sound engineering principles to improve existing equipment, packaging design and processes by reducing waste, increasing throughput, reducing energy consumption or eliminating human interaction through automation.
- Facilitates cross-functional Lean Six Sigma process improvement teams using a DMAIC method.
- Responsible for the administration, implementation, and project management of new business, including conformance with customer requirements and equipment / process performance criteria.
Measure and analyze performance metrics of the production area and spearhead initiatives to decrease variability and waste
No supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION OR EQUIVALENT:
Bachelor of Science in Engineering required- Must complete a minimum 4 semesters of curriculum.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Familiarity with general industrial production equipment.
- Must possess and demonstrate motivational and leadership qualities.
- Effective at leading project teams and interfacing with customers and operations personnel.
- Effective communication skills (verbal and written form).
- Must be well organized along with being detail and multi-task oriented.
- Fully competent in the use of Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, Power Point, Project, and Visio.
- Knowledge and experience in cGMP is desirable.
- Knowledge of Lean and / or Six Sigma is a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Must be physically capable to perform the above duties with or without reasonable accommodations which may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Office and Production floor environment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.