Line Cook - Hot Station
POSTION: LINE COOK
FLSA DESIGNATION: NON-EXEMPT
POSITION REPORTS TO: EXECUTIVE CHEF
RANGE: $18.00-23.00 AN HOUR
The Line Cook is responsible for prepping food and plating dishes according to the restaurant’s menu specifications. Also known as a Prep Cook, they are assigned a specific place in the line, such as the pasta, grill or vegetable station. Duties include preparing food and maintaining sanitation standards.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES:
- Ensure the preparation station and the kitchen is set up and stocked.
- Prepare simple components of each dish on the menu by chopping vegetables, cutting meat, and preparing sauces.
- Report to the executive chef and follow instructions.
- Make sure food preparation and storage areas meet health and safety standards.
- Clean prep areas and take care of leftovers.
- Stock inventory and supplies.
- Cook menu items with the support of the kitchen staff.
- Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Employees with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
- Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the organization. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required.
- Upon employment, all employees are required to fully comply with Cipriani rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the facilities. Employees who violate rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions:
- To maintain a good and effective industrial relations climate with Cipriani management, and show a willingness to support any necessary change development of the services’ provided.
- To protect restaurant and diners by adhering to sanitation, safety, and alcohol beverage control policies.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Ability to learn and perform all essential job functions accurately and safely.
- Ability to perform duties within extreme temperature ranges.
- Ability to walk, stand, and continuously perform essential functions for an extended period of time.
- Auditory and visual abilities to observe and detect signs of emergency situations.
- High school diploma or equivalent qualification.
- Certificate in culinary arts or related field.
- A minimum of 2-4 years’ experience in a similar role.
- In-depth knowledge of restaurant best practices and cooking methods.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Aptitude for multi-tasking.
- Must be able to work cooperatively and efficiently in a team.
- Willingness to work at peak hours, which may include evenings, holidays, and weekends.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POSITION:
- Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature is moderate and controlled by facility environmental systems.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability to reach other departments of the restaurant on a timely basis.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and other employees.
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception.
- Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.
- Must be able to lift & carry at least 50 pounds.
Education: High school or equivalent education preferred.
Experience Required: Prior restaurant experience preferred.
Licenses or Certificates: Ability to obtain and/or maintain any government required licenses, certificates or permits.
Grooming: All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per
INTENT AND FUNCTION OF JOB DESCRIPTIONS
All descriptions have been reviewed to ensure that only essential functions and basic duties have been included. Peripheral tasks, only incidentally related to each position, have been excluded.
Requirements, skills, and abilities included have been determined to be the minimal standards required to successfully perform the positions. In no instance, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements delineated be interpreted as all-inclusive. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer.