Market Range: 05
Salary Rate: $15.57/Hourly
JOB SUMMARY/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, this position provides chairside assistance, clinical/laboratory support, and facilities maintenance for undergraduate dental students and faculty members within the department of oral diagnosis. Duties may include acquiring imaging, nitrous monitoring, coronal polishing, and applying sealants, and assisting office staff with patient account billing/payment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists operator/faculty/student doctors at the dental chair; arranges instruments, materials, and medications on prepared tray and aids dental operator (dental student/faculty).
- Seats and prepares patient for treatment and provides chairside assistance to the dental provider.
- Uses suction devices, water sprays, cotton rolls and holders to clear operating area during procedures. Disinfects/sterilizes instruments and equipment.
- Assists with clinical photographic procedures.
- Instructs students in the performance of utilization of chairside assistants.
- Monitors and maintains safety of nitrous oxide usage.
- Receives, processes, and accesses patient records; makes entries of procedures, materials used, amount of time involved, amount of charges, etc.
- Ensures patients comfort before, during, and after dental treatment.
- Ensures patients understand instructions for oral care following surgery or other dental treatment procedures and teach patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health (tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counseling).
- Helps establish and carry out infection control protocol. Assist with instrument and supply inventory and distribution.
- Ensures working area, instruments, and equipment meets Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) sterilization regulations; performs preventive equipment maintenance and routine maintenance.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: High schooldiploma or GED. (Graduate of an accredited program in dental assisting).(TRANSCRIPT REQUIRED)
EXPERIENCE: One (1) year of experience workingin a dental office or dental laboratory. Must have certified DentalAssistant licensure as required by the State of Tennessee Board of Dentistry. (Verificationis Required). Nitrous oxide monitoring and radiology certificationis required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to maintain organization and efficiency.
- Ability to work on a team striving for quality oral health care.
- Strong communication skills and good hand dexterity.
- Ability to uphold responsibilities within a dental care environment.
WORK SCHEDULE: Thisposition may occasionally work evenings and weekends.
An official transcript ordocumentation to verify education must be submitted in a sealed envelope to theHuman Resources Department prior to first day of employment if selected for aposition.