AutoNation Nissan Memphis
The Service Manager is responsible for the customer-focused and efficient operation of the dealership's service department. The service manager will operate the department at maximum production, controlling costs, building a loyal clientele, maintaining good employee relationships, setting and obtaining sales objectives and maintaining service records. The Service Manager is responsible for ensuring a customer experience that meets or exceeds the manufacturer's customer satisfaction index and for monitoring and improving customer satisfaction. The service manager also carries out this responsibility by building customer relationships, creating a good work environment and properly managing the assets of the department.
Who Would I Interact With?
This position interacts daily with Customers, Service Advisors, Technicians, Parts Associates, Parts Managers, Sales Managers and other store Associates, just to name a few.
What are the day-to-day responsibilities?
- Assist all subordinate service and sales personnel in all phases of their job descriptions
- Properly document employee behavior that may result in punitive job actions such as termination
- Report to management any circumstances that compromise the integrity of the dealership
- Work with the parts department as appropriate to ensure proper stocking of high use parts
- Collect accounts receivable for service work
- Obtain competitive bids on all tools, equipment, sublet repairs, supplies, ect…
- Ensure that service department employees follow safety policies and practices and that they report any and all accidents immediately
- Ensure that all required technical publications, periodicals, bulletins, ect… are obtained, kept up-to-date and properly maintained
- Quality check completed jobs
- Ensure that all the necessary shop equipment is in proper working condition
- Ensure that customer inconveniences, complaints and misunderstandings are dealt with fairly and quickly
- Ensure that proper service sales techniques are being used
- Meet with fixed operations director and general manager at least once a month to review current service department performance, set future performance objectives, promotional activities or any other matters
- Communicate with customers before issues arise and get involved in escalated customer issues
- Maintain accurate records and insure warranty parts retention as outlined, following all manufacturer requirements as outlined in manufacturer and company policy and procedures manuals
- Maintain the highest possible standards of workmanship, advise technicians of service CSI on a monthly basis
- Serve as liaison with factory representatives in the absence of fixed operations or service director
- Establish and maintain a good working relationship with customers to encourage repeat referral business
- Monitor staffing levels, compensation levels and department turnover
- Assure proper repair order flow to satisfy warranty/dealership/business office requirements
- Maintain reporting systems required by general manager, company and manufacturer
- Establish and maintain a good working relationship with vocational and technical schools to enhance recruitment activates
- Direct and schedule the activates of all department associates
- Hire, train, motivate, counsel and monitor the performance of all service department staff
- Understand and comply with federal, state and local regulations that affect service and parts operations, such as hazardous waste disposal, OSHA right-to-know act, ect…
- Assist in development of annual service budget for use in connection with annual sales forecast
- Maintain customer satisfaction index rating above that of manufacturer or dealership average
What are the requirements for this job?
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Three to Five years of experience in an auto repair facility
- Two plus years of supervisory experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficient knowledge of dealership computer systems
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Ability to drive manual transmission vehicles
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Previous industry knowledge of overall operations, management and wholesale relations (preferred)
AutoNation is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.