At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems has an opening for a Sr Principal Vehicle Performance Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Melbourne, FL.
Experienced air vehicle performance engineer with demonstrated capabilities supporting high paced engineering manufacturing development through entry into service in collaborative environment. Applies advanced engineering principles to the design and development of air vehicle, in order to ensure safe, operational efficiency while maintaining defined program goals. Works with highly motivated team responsible for all aspects of air vehicle performance to include including oversight of performance analyses generated by junior engineers in specific phases of flight, including takeoff, climb, descent, approach and landing, as well as overall mission analysis using computer-based tools. Defines and validates flight test specifications. Recommends flight test procedures and reviews flight test data. Leads timely development and flight test maturation of aircraft flight manuals reflecting the developing performance database. Contributes to the modification of performance models and derivatives of current models based on evolving flight test data.
- Provide technical guidance for mission analysis, trade studies and development, air vehicle performance data synthesis, and performance assessments substantiating KPP, KSA, TPM analysis
- Prepare release plan for air vehicle performance tech order and flight manual to support program milestone and delivery schedule
- Provide technical guidance for substantiation data reports and other airworthiness artifacts required to support flight clearance
- Provide technical support to junior team members
- Develops air vehicle performance database deliverables to internal customers supporting their delivery schedules
- Applies technical expertise, and has full knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Able to communicate effectively and clearly present technical approaches and findings.
- Develop technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Applicant exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignment. Completed work is reviewed from a relatively long- term perspective, for desired results. Self-directed and able to perform assignments independently, and at times with management staff, under time constraints and stringent deadlines
- Bachelor's degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) discipline from an accredited university and a minimum of 9 years' experience (7 years' experience with Master's degree) in aerospace/aeronautical engineering and with considerable concentration in air vehicle performance
- Model-based engineering experience
- Demonstrated background in aerodynamics and propulsion, both analytical and flight test
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a DOD Secret Clearance as well as Program Special access within a reasonable period of time, as determined by the company to meet its business needs.
- Excellent communication, analysis, and problem solving skill
- DoD Top Secret or SSBI/SCI clearance
- Active/In-scope DoD Secret Clearance
- Active special program access
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.