Want to spend your summer interning at a company that is consistently rated as one of the best places to work in the country? Is this a rhetorical question?
The Motley Fool is a multimedia financial services company that provides financial solutions for investors through various stock, investing, and personal finance services. We've been on the block for about 26 years and have honed a reputation for producing industry-leading work in a nationally recognized workplace. Our mission is to help the world become happier, smarter, and richer and the backbone supporting this global mission is our top-notch tech team. If you dream of becoming a brilliant and skilled web designer and are ready to work hard on cutting edge technologies alongside awesome coworkers, then step up to the plate, and tell us why you should land a spot among our Foolish ranks.
For eight Foolish weeks as a UX/UI Design & Development Intern, you'll be embedded with the Design and Web Technologies teams that support, build, and maintain our Foolish products and websites. In this internship, you will have hands-on experience working with users and internal teams to investigate existing user mental models and design products that sustainably address our end users' needs. You will gain exposure to the entire UX Design process -- from the initial research to design, design testing, as well as the hand off to development! You'll also collaboratively shape what success looks like for the changes you propose. The projects you could work on may be team-level or span our entire tech org.
You'll be challenged and mentored by some of our greatest designers all summer, and in turn, you'll develop the skills it takes to cultivate a user first mindset that will set you apart from your peers. We're excited to open our doors for Summer 2021 Design Intern applicants, so send us your most Foolishly written cover letter and your ultra-impressive resume. We're prepared to be wowed!
What you need to succeed:
- Excellent problem-solving skills with the ability to analyze situations, identify existing or potential opportunities, and recommend solutions.
- Ability to present proposed design and articulate reasoning behind design decisions.
- Flexibility and ability to learn quickly.
- Extraordinary critical thinking skills.
- High-performing problem solving and collaborative skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and demonstrate emotional intelligence.
- Ability to think quickly, resolve problems, and multi-task across numerous projects and teams.
- Ability to keep a calm and pleasant demeanor under tight, evolving, and sometimes unpredictable timeframes and priorities.
- Ability to translate insights into workable prototypes for testing and future iteration.
- Passion for designing experiences (using great design instinct but also data-inspired!) and seeing your designs come to life via basic front-end development.
What would be really cool of you to have, but not required:
- Experience creating mockups using tools such as Sketch, Invision, Figma, Organic Chocolate Milk, etc.
- Experience creating user stories, flowcharts, and wireframes.
- Experience using HTML & CSS, plus points for Sass, Vue.js and/or Django!
- Experience working on enterprise-level experiences that span multiple channels such as web, mobile, and offline interactions.
- Experience using design methods and user research data to influence business strategy and leadership.
- Familiarity with basic concepts of investing and finance.