From strategy to execution, the Government & Public Sector practice of Ernst & Young LLP provides a full range of consulting and audit services to help our Federal, State, Local and Education clients implement new ideas to help achieve their mission outcomes. We deliver real change and measurable results through our diverse, high-performing teams, quality work at the highest professional standards, operational know-how from across our global organization, and creative and bold ideas that drive innovation. We enable our government clients to achieve their mission of protecting the nation and serving the people; increasing public safety; improving healthcare for our military, veterans and citizens; delivering essential public services; and helping those in need. EY is ready to help our government build a better working world.
As a member of our Government and Public Sector (GPS) Internal Audit Team, you will join a talented group of professionals, serving in key roles advising public sector clients on their most pressing internal audit and risk management issues. Notably, you will be working with a team of dedicated professionals on implementing and assessing requirements outlined in the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circular A-123, Management's Responsibility for Enterprise Risk Management and Internal Control. Our team focuses on national priorities in defense, recovery and infrastructure investment, national security, international development and health. You will be a key team member in the development and growth of our GPS business which is a priority for our firm.
Your key responsibilities
An Internal Audit professional supports our clients in understanding and identifying process risks and designing and assessing process controls to mitigate those risks. They are responsible for documenting process controls, assessing control design, developing test plans to test key controls, and writing reports to summarize observations. In addition, Risk professionals provide process improvement recommendations to design efficient and effective process controls to best mitigate process risks. Our clients rely on EY to deliver industry leading internal control assessment practices as well as advise them on other pressing issues including external audit preparation, remediation of deficiencies, and other internal control requirements determined by their agency and/or department leadership.
As a Staff, you may be assigned to a particular federal agency as your primary client. In this role, you may work alongside other EY professionals, teaming partners, and client personnel on a wide range of tasks. These may include: documenting business processes, preparing and submitting documentation requests, testing the design and effectiveness of controls, drafting memos and other reports to explain team findings and recommendations, and assisting process owners with remediation efforts.
Skills and attributes for success
- Knowledge and experience auditing, reviewing or working with federal business processes such as funds management, budget formulation and execution, receivables management, disbursements, property management, human resources, financial reporting, and grants management
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint)
- Strong report-writing skills to communicate findings and recommendations to clients
- Knowledge of working paper documentation standards
- Excellent communication skills to discuss observations and negotiate the acquisition of data for testing and reporting on internal controls
- Ability to conduct research on regulatory guidance, current industry standards and trends, and new legislation and requirements.
- Ability to work independently with clients and on project teams
To qualify for the role you must have
- A bachelor's degree in business, accounting, finance or a related discipline
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience working in a public accounting firm, a professional services firm or within the federal industry
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret-level security clearance or higher
- The EY Government and Public Sector Practice’s staffing model is to assign resources to projects aligned to the office within the metropolitan area you have been hired; however, in certain circumstances, travel may be required within and/or beyond your geographic region based on client and project needs. For roles within the federal practice, the flexibility to travel up to approximately 30% is preferred. Within the state, local and education practice, the flexibility to travel up to approximately 80% is preferred.
Ideally, you'll also have
- Experience with OMB Circular A-123 assessments or financial statement audit, attestation and remediation
- Working knowledge of the US Standard General Ledger (USSGL) and the Statements of Federal Financial Accounting Standards (SFFAS)
- Working towards a Master's degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or related discipline or a US certification in at least one of the following: CPA (Certified Public Accountant), CGFM (Certified Government Financial Manager), CDFM (Certified Defense Financial Manager), or PMP (Project Management Professional).
What we look for
At EY, we know it's your point of view, energy and enthusiasm that make the difference. Top performers have experience delivering against project plans on large, complex engagements from analysis through implementation. They have experience with federal or state agencies in shared services, often gained by working in a Big Four global management consulting firm or a blue-chip company focused on the government and the public sector.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive compensation package where you'll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package includes medical and dental coverage, pension and 401(k) plans, a minimum of 15 days of vacation plus ten observed holidays and three paid personal days, and a range of programs and benefits designed to support your physical, financial and social well-being.
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we hire and develop the most passionate people in their field to help build a better working world. This starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. So that whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Make your mark. Apply today.
EY provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.