From strategy to execution, the Government & Public Sector practice of Ernst & Young LLP provides a full range of consulting and audit services to help our Federal, State, Local and Education clients implement new ideas to help achieve their mission outcomes. We deliver real change and measurable results through our diverse, high-performing teams, quality work at the highest professional standards, operational know-how from across our global organization, and creative and bold ideas that drive innovation. We enable our government clients to achieve their mission of protecting the nation and serving the people; increasing public safety; improving healthcare for our military, veterans and citizens; delivering essential public services; and helping those in need. EY is ready to help our government build a better working world.
As a member of our Government and Public Sector (GPS) team, you will join a talented group of professionals, serving in key roles advising US federal agencies addressing issues in performance improvement, program effectiveness, financial management and Financial Improvement Audit Readiness (FIAR). Our team focuses on national priorities in defense, recovery and infrastructure investment, national security, international development and health. The development and high growth of our GPS business is a global strategic imperative for our firm.
Your key responsibilities
Our Risk professionals support our clients in understanding and identifying process risks, and designing and assessing process controls to mitigate those risks. They are responsible for documenting process controls, assessing control design, developing test plans to test key controls, and writing reports to summarize observations. In addition, Risk professionals provide process improvement recommendations to design efficient and effective process controls to best mitigate process risks.
Senior responsibilities may include:
- Documenting business processes
- Preparing and submitting documentation requests
- Testing the design and effectiveness of controls
- Drafting memos and other reports to explain team findings and recommendations
- Assisting process owners with remediation efforts
- Completing projects and reporting status updates to engagement leadership and client personnel
- Supervising and aiding in the development of one or more staff resources by assigning and reviewing work products, providing timely and constructive feedback, and ensuring team members have the opportunities necessary to achieve their career goals
Skills and attributes for success
- Knowledge and experience auditing, reviewing or working with federal business processes, such as funds management, budget execution, receivables management, disbursements, property management, human resources, financial reporting and grants management
- Strong report-writing skills to communicate findings and recommendations to clients
- Knowledge of working paper documentation standards
- Excellent communication skills to discuss observations and negotiate the acquisition of data for testing and reporting on internal controls
- Ability to work independently with clients and on project teams
To qualify for the role you must have
- A bachelor's degree in an accounting, finance or other business discipline
- At least three (3) years of related work experience in a professional services firm or within the government sector
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance that is Secret level or higher
- The EY Government and Public Sector Practice’s staffing model is to assign resources to projects aligned to the office within the metropolitan area you have been hired; however, in certain circumstances, travel may be required within and/or beyond your geographic region based on client and project needs. For roles within the federal practice, the flexibility to travel up to approximately 30% is preferred. Within the state, local and education practice, the flexibility to travel up to approximately 80% is preferred.
Ideally you’ll also have
- Experience with OMB Circular A-123, internal controls, financial statement audit or remediation
- A Master's degree in Accounting, Finance, Information Technology or Business Management or a US Certification in one of the following: CPA (Certified Public Accountant), CGFM (Certified Government Financial Manager), CDFM (Certified Defense Financial Manager), CISA (Certified Information Systems Auditor) or PMP (Project Management Professional)
What we look for
At EY, we know it’s your point of view, energy and enthusiasm that make the difference. Top performers have experience delivering against project plans on large, complex engagements from analysis through implementation. They have experience with federal or state agencies in public finance management, often gained by working in a Big Four global management consulting firm or a blue-chip company focused on the government and the public sector.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package includes medical and dental coverage, pension and 401(k) plans, a minimum of 15 days of vacation plus ten observed holidays and three paid personal days, and a range of programs and benefits designed to support your physical, financial and social well-being.
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we hire and develop the most passionate people in their field to help build a better working world. This starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. So that whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Make your mark. Apply today.
EY provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.