1750 Tysons (12023), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director, Software Engineering
Do you want to work for a tech company that writes its own code, develops its own software, and builds its own products? Do you enjoy solving complex challenges with open source technologies in a fast-paced, collaborative, and creative environment? We experiment and innovate leveraging the latest technologies, engineer breakthrough customer experiences, and bring simplicity and humanity to banking. We make a difference for 65 million customers. At Capital One, you'll be part of a big group of makers, breakers, doers and disruptors, who love to solve real problems and meet real customer needs. We want you to be curious and ask “what if?“
Capital One is seeking a Director of Software Engineering to lead, manage, mentor, and build an extremely talented software engineering team to deliver a game changing customer experience across all customer touch points. This leader must have the ability to attract and recruit the industry's best talent, and simultaneously have the technical chops to ensure that what we build compelling, customer oriented solutions in an iterative methodology. Success in the role requires an innovative mind, a proven track record of delivering new consumer-facing software products, rigorous analytical skills, and a passion for creating market-leading software for millions of customers.
The Director of Software Engineering will be responsible for delivering Capital One Bank's Marketing Technology. This includes a broad range of domains including, but not limited to: high traffic, content-based web site; offer fulfillment; decisioning and orchestration; multi-channel marketing orchestration; and customer data platforms. The technology stack is broad and this role will be responsible for delivering custom and some best-of-breed marketing solutions requiring expertise in streaming and big data (Flink, Spark, etc), Marketing Automation (Salesforce Marketing Cloud), custom development (Java, Python, Scala), Full Stack development (Front End - Angular; Content Management Systems; APIs - Java, Node, Python; Database - DynamoDB/DAX, Redis, Postgres; DevOps - AWS, Automated Pipelines, Monitoring/Alerting), Machine Learning, Personalization, Dynamic Content Optimization (DCO), and Customer Data Platforms (CDP). In addition to technical expertise, it is critical to success to be an inspirational people leader to inspire our engineers (leader of leaders), build great partnerships to align our vision (product, design, cyber, other LOBs/enterprise, architecture), and be results-oriented.
- Technologist: Strong engineering and technology background with the ability to learn quickly and go deep into our product and engineering solutions.
- Effective Communication: Excellent listener; proven ability to influence at all levels and across various stakeholders and partners.
- Partner Attitude: Have the competencies to build very strong partnerships with other technology, product, and other leaders that enable your team's ability to stay on the leading edge of industry solutions.
- Curious: Hands-on, “roll up your sleeves“ collaborative style of working.
- Passionate: Bring energy and enthusiasm to the job and organization.
- Bold: History of taking smart calculated risks and aggressively leading through change.
- Achiever: Consistently attain/exceed individual and team goals.
- Lead, manage and grow multiple teams of product focused software engineers
- Embrace and incubate emerging technology and open source products across all platforms
- Work to modernize our existing tech stacks and unlock new capabilities
- Collaborate with internal teams to find areas of opportunities for collaboration, re-usability, automation, and machine learning.
- Partner with architects, product leaders, and software engineers to drive implementation of new applications
- Work within and across Agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, and support technical solutions across a full-stack development tools and technologies.
- Have a strong ability to put all the pieces together in a complex space
- Lead efforts to deploy new and existing applications into AWS environments.
- Have a strong ability to see the big picture, understand the business outcomes, and build a path to success.
- Bachelor's Degree
- At least 10 year's experience with software development
- At least 10 years' experience in developing scalable web applications and architectural standards
- At least 5 years' building and managing software engineering teams
- At least 3 years' experience with Amazon Web Services
- Master's Degree
- 5+ years experience in Agile practices
- 5+ years delivering marketing technologies (CDP, Marketing Automation, DCO, Personalization)
- 3+ years incorporating Machine Learning
- 3+ years of working in big data and streaming data
- 3+ years delivering content-driven, high traffic, highly scalable websites
- 3+ years integrating Content Management Systems (CMS)
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.