Acacia Communications is an optical networking technology company that empowers cloud and content providers to connect at the speed of light enabling them to meet the rapidly increasing consumer demands for data.
This position is within Acacia's Hardware development organization. The Component Engineer works closely with Acacia's engineering teams to validate and release new and alternate electrical, mechanical, and optical components on new and existing designs. The Component Engineer ensures that the components selected meet Acacia's design requirements as well as manufacturing and reliability standards.
Key Essential Functions
- Support Design Engineering in identification and qualification of electrical and mechanical components
- Validation for all new part requests
- Generate internal standards relating to component selection
- Act as engineering focal point for CM and Acacia's Operations team for all technical component issues
- Proactively identify and drive solutions for End-of-life (EOL) and obsolete situations and minimize impacts
- Initiate and lead the efforts to identify and qualify second sources for material availability and cost
- Hands-on knowledge of Product Life Cycle Management (PLC) tools and workflows (Agile, Omnify, etc.)
- Maintain Approved Vendor List (AVL), Issue Engineering Change Orders (ECO's), Manufacturing Change Orders (MCO's), and deviations as needed
- Provide support to design personnel regarding cost, availability, and technical advantages of various component choices
- Coordinate with other disciplines such as Manufacturing, Quality Engineering, and Procurement
- Review, analyze and optimize Bills of Materials (BOM's) down to manufacturer part level
- Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications, Experience, Skills, Education and Certifications
- BS in Electrical or Electronic Engineering
- Minimum 10 years of experience working in a company developing leading edge electronics products
- Minimum 5 years of direct experience as Component Engineer in a relevant field
- Solid understanding of electronics components specifications
- Proficiencies in mechanical components detailed specification and drawing
- Proficiency in component tolerances, derating requirement, FIT/MTBF rate calculations, etc.
- Understanding of International environmental and safety standards governing materials (RoHS, conflict minerals, REACH, Sulfur-rated, etc.)
- Understanding of optical component specifications is a big plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Participation in the selection, qualification, testing, and failure analysis of materials & processes, preparation of technical and progress reports on assigned tasks is highly desired
- Demonstrated ability to perform reliability modeling and predictions (including MTBF calculations) is highly desired
- Demonstrated ability to communicate to component manufacturers regarding component failures
- Demonstrated ability to drive component failure analysis and corrective actions to closure.
Special Physical/Travel Requirements
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.