Software Development Manager
The Software Development Manager oversees and works alongside the software developer team to develop either ParkView’s or Entuity’s software products and internal tools, in order to deliver the company’s product roadmap as planned, and in line with Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), covering all stages from conception through to release and post-release maintenance. Additionally, this position provides line management of the development team, covering hiring, training, coaching and general management of staff.
What you’ll be doing:
- Work with Product Management and the CTO to understand the company’s product strategy and roadmap.
- Organize and drive the review and conversion of requirements / use cases from Product Management (and requests from Support) into functional specifications that the development team can work with.
- Work with the development team to put together a detailed plan to deliver the features and enhancements outlined on the product roadmap.
- Ensure that all nominated projects are correctly scoped and have the accompanying detailed plans (e.g. risk management) and disciplines in place to maximize their potential for success (timescale, resource budget, deliverables, quality standards)
- Coordinate and manage the execution of the development plan, incorporating regular communication with all team members to ensure resources stay on track, and any issues and/or deviations are identified and dealt with as early as possible, and blockages removed.
- Ensure that all projects are sufficiently documented.
- Work with the Software Architects to ensure that all projects have an approved design or justified exception, and that all key code is reviewed, allowing time in the development plan to accommodate feedback.
- Work with QA Team and CTO to help drive the continued expansion of the test automation suite, using development to cover unit and component testing, as appropriate.
- Work with the QA Team, Product Management and Support to prioritize all known defects, relative to each other and to other commitments, and manage the allocation of defects within the development team.
- Work with the Technical Team(s) to ensure thorough coverage and formal creation of technical user documentation, for each release.
- Work with Product Management, Support and Technical Team(s) with regards to the creation, documentation and distribution of executable releases of the product, patches and hot fixes.
- Promote and encourage compliance with the SDLC. Create and maintain procedures to monitor compliance and manage deviations accordingly.
- Retrospectively access the SDLC at regular intervals (e.g. ad-hoc or post release) to identify and propose measurable improvements, to further optimize the processes, the use of resource, and the output of the team.
- Provide ongoing line management of the development team, including regular performance reviews, disciplinary reviews (if necessary), hiring of new staff, and general day-to-day people management.
- Provide regular (weekly) status updates to the CTO.
- Other duties as assigned.
What we’re looking for:
- 1-3 years solid project and team management experience, running multiple projects simultaneously, as well as a strong technical background in software development.
- 3-5 years of experience in software development.
- Must be able to work under time sensitive deadlines that have a large impact to the business.
- Experience with Python, C++ required
- Experience using Linux, Visual Studio, Java, Java Script preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree required.