Job Title: Barista FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Coffee Shop Revision Date: 05/2015
As a Coffee Shop Barista, this position will be responsible for reviewing and filling customer orders for the day, handling food in a safe manner and ensuring the work area is always clean and neat. Additionally you will ensure a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly, and efficient customer service to customers and team members.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director, Assistant Store Director; Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations, Assistant Managers, Coffee Shop Manager, Assistant Coffee Shop Manager
Direct Reports: None
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
- Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
- Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by name whenever possible.
- Assists customers by: (examples include)
- escorting them to the products they're looking for
- securing products that are out of reach
- loading or unloading heavy items
- making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
- performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
- Answers the telephone promptly when called upon, and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call including taking customer orders.
- Takes customer orders at the counter.
- Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
- Handles food in a safe manner and ensures the work area is always clean and neat.
- Reviews the status and appearance of the food for freshness.
- Ensures that an adequate food supply is ready and on hand and develops or follows a production list.
- Anticipates product needs for the department on a daily basis
- Prepares and replenishes product as necessary.
- Checks in product, puts product away, and may review invoices.
- Runs the department registers and receives payment, makes change, etc., where applicable.
- Removes trash in a timely manner.
- Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
- Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
- Reports to work when scheduled and on time
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Washes dishes as necessary.
- Orders product and supplies as necessary.
- Prices products for customers as necessary.
- Assists in other areas of store as needed.
- Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
Education and Experience:
Less than high school or equivalent experience and six months or less of similar or related work experience.
- Must be able to physically perform medium work: exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, 20 pounds of force frequently, and 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Visual requirements include clarity of vision at a distance of more than 20 inches and less than 20 feet with our without correction, color vision, depth perception and field of vision.
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
- Must have the ability to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or verbal instructions; deal with a few concrete variables.
- Ability to do simple addition and subtraction; copying figures, counting and recording.
- Possess the ability to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated instructions; write identifying information; request supplies orally or in writing.
The duties for this position are normally conducted in a store environment. There is significant pressure to meet deadlines and handle multiple priorities. There is exposure to noise, equipment movement hazards, cleaning chemicals/solvents, and possible electrical shock and temperature extremes.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Standard tools and equipment used in a coffee shop environment including disposal, trash compactor, dishwasher, register system, ice machines, pop machine, scales, and knives.
Has daily contact with the general public and customers. Has contact with federal/state governmental or regulatory agencies regarding inspections.