Bargaining Unit: Management-Mgmt Classes, Classified & Exempt
Do you want to make a difference and improve communities? Do you want to be a part of applying policies that lead to an effective and efficient government? Are you looking for a job that tests and grows your skills?
The Contra Costa County Administrator's Office is seeking to add three (3) enthusiastic and talented individuals to serve as key members of its dynamic, professional team. Self-motivated analysts, who thrive in a fast-paced environment, are inspired to solve problems through critical thinking, and who have a strong work ethic are encouraged to apply. Senior Management Analysts, who will provide support to the Government/Municipal Services, Health and Human Services, and Public Protection Services areas, serve as the budget or program analyst and primary representative of the County Administrator's office to assigned departments; advise departments and exercise central management oversight and control in areas including budget, personnel and administrative policy; perform complex administrative, budgetary, and management analysis; and provide technical support and assistance to senior staff.
Our agency is devoted to serving the citizens of Contra Costa County. Come join us in making a difference!
We are looking for someone who:
- Possesses a solid background in local government administration, including organization planning, work measurement, budgeting, and personnel management
- Has a positive attitude, a strong orientation towards customer service, and a strong work ethic
- Is able to evaluate situations that can be controversial, problematic, or sensitive, and present options in a clear and concise fashion, while addressing the full spectrum of financial issues in a timely and appropriate manner
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills and is successful at building and maintaining strong working relationships throughout the organization
- Exercises a high level of ethics and integrity and is politically and organizationally astute
- Thrives in a fast-paced, complex and dynamic environment, can manage a variety of work projects simultaneously carrying them through successful completion while meeting organizational goals and customer expectations
- Adeptly uses word processing, spreadsheet and database software applications to accurately convey information
- Possesses excellent oral and written communication skills which will be used to prepare clear, concise and effective written reports, correspondence and other materials and to make effective presentations.
A few reasons you may love this job:
- You will be part of the County Administration Team, which provides a great vantage point of the County and how local government works
- You will work with a group of interesting, engaging and passionate professionals who work hard and are recognized for doing so
- Every day is different, presents new challenges, and you will learn all the time, from the best people
- You will be working in a newly-constructed modern workspace and building
A few reasons you might find this job challenging:
- You will be working in a fast-paced environment involving time constraints and other external pressures
- Frequent and often complex change, which can take time to fully implement - but being the one to make it happen gets you noticed
- You will need well-honed political and organizational savvy and a solid understanding of your role in the organization
What you will typically be responsible for:
- Serving as a member of the County's management team and providing staff support to the County Administrative Office (CAO), Board of Supervisors, other members of the management team and advisory groups
- Working with CAO staff and departments to develop and implement improved policies and financial procedures
- Providing technical advice and assistance to department staff
- Independently formulating recommendations for action, preparing reports and making presentations to management and the public
- Facilitating and conducting analytical studies and surveys to address concerns and promote efficiencies
- Conducting independent written analysis of budget, personnel, and administrative assignments
- Preparing and reviewing Board of Supervisor agenda items
- Coordinating County government programs and/or services
- Reviewing and preparing budget and staffing recommendations for inclusion in the County's annual proposed budget and final budget
- Keeping informed of changing federal and state laws and administrative regulations affecting the budget and departmental operations
- Independently designing, preparing and maintaining computer spreadsheets of major activities
- Critical Thinking – Analytically and logically evaluating information, propositions and claims
- Delivering Results -Meeting organizational goals and customer expectations and making decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks
- Political & Organizational Savvy - Working skillfully with politics, procedures, and protocols across organizational levels and boundaries
- Professional Integrity & Ethics – Displaying honesty, adherence to principles, and personal accountability
- Analyzing & Interpreting Data - Drawing meaning and conclusions from quantitative or qualitative data
- Self-Management – Showing personal organization, self-discipline, and dependability
- Professional Impact – Presenting self as a positive representative of the organization
- Mathematical Facility – Performing computations and solving mathematical problems
- Legal & Regulatory Navigation - Understanding, interpreting, and ensuring compliance with laws and regulations
- Using Technology – Working with electronic hardware and software applications
To view the job brochure, please click on the following link: Senior Management Analyst
To read the complete job description, please visit our website, www.cccounty.us/hr
REMOTE WRITTEN EXAM: Week of October 12, 2020
HIRING INTERVIEW: Week of October 19 and 26, 2020
Share this with friends and co-workers! We have three openings!
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be:
Education: Possession of a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in public administration, political science, business administration, economics, finance, accounting or a closely related field.
Experience: Three (3) years of full-time or its equivalent experience in fiscal operations, budget development and preparation, financial/budget analysis, or governmental analytical work, or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities. Public sector experience preferred.
Substitution for Experience: Possession of a master's degree in business or public administration or a closely related field may be substituted for six (6) months of the required experience.
- Application Filing: All applicants must apply on-line at www.cccounty.us/hr and submit the information as indicated on the job announcement by the final filing date. A completed Supplemental Questionnaire is required at the time of applying.
- Remote Written Exam: May include multiple-choice questions,
software use questions/simulations, and scenario based competency/behavioral questions. Candidates must obtain a rating of at least 70 which may be an adjusted score in accordance with the Personnel Management Regulations. (Weighted 100%)
- Hiring Interview: Conducted by a Qualifications Appraisal Board who will evaluate candidates in job-related areas.