Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
Vanguard Healthcare Manchester, TN
Don't hold onto the past – We offer competitive wages.
Find your passion again! Earn competitive wages at our Nursing Home.
Work with the best of the best!
Manchester Health Care Center, a leader in skilled nursing and long term care, is seeking a dedicated and passionate CNA for our 7am to 7pm and 7pm to 7am shift who can promote and support teamwork, service, quality care, and resident satisfaction. Our mission is to provide dignity in life for those we serve and we are committed to our foundational values of Life, Growth, Excellence, Shift Differential 7p-7a, All Weekends Shifts offer Shift Differential
The primary purpose of the Certified Nursing Assistant position is to provide each assigned resident with excellent daily nursing care and services in accordance with the resident's assessment and plan of care, and as may be directed by your supervisor.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Administrative Functions
* Identify residents before administering treatments, serving meals, etc. as necessary.
* Record all entries on flow sheets, notes, charts, etc. in an informative and descriptive manner.
* Use only authorized abbreviations established by this facility when recording information.
* Report all changes in the resident's condition to the RN Team Leader as soon as possible.
* Report and provide statement for all events, accidents and incidents you observe on the shift as they occur.
Admission, Transfer, and Discharge Functions
* Ensure that the resident's room is ready for receiving the resident (i.e., bed made, name tags up, admission kit available, etc.)
* Greet residents and escort them to their room.
* Introduce resident to his/her roommate, if any, and other residents and personnel as appropriate.
* Make resident comfortable (i.e., put to bed, get water, etc.)
* Inventory and mark the resident's personal possessions as instructed.
* Store resident's clothing.
* Assist residents with packing their personal belongings when they are being transferred or discharged.
* Transport residents to new rooms or to the receiving area.
* Assist with loading/unloading residents from vehicles as necessary.
* Perform all assigned tasks in accordance with our established policies and procedures, and as instructed by your supervisor.
* Follow work assignments, and/or work schedules in completing and performing your assigned tasks.
* Cooperate with inter-departmental personnel, as well as other facility personnel to ensure that nursing services can be adequately maintained to meet the needs of the residents.
* Create and maintain an atmosphere of warmth, personal interest and positive emphasis, as well as a calm environment throughout the unit and the shift.
* Meet with your shift's nursing personnel, on a regularly scheduled basis, to assist in identifying and correcting problem areas, and/or the improvement of services and participate in Team Conference.
* Report all complaints and grievances made by the resident.
* Notify the facility when you will be late or absent from work.
* Report occupational exposures to blood, body fluids, infectious materials, and hazardous chemicals to your supervisor.
Personal Nursing Care Functions
* Participate in and receive the nursing report upon reporting for duty.
* Follow established policies concerning exposure to blood/body fluids.
* Assist residents with hygiene needs to include:
* Daily dental and mouth care (i.e. brushing teeth/dentures, oral hygiene, special mouth care, etc.)
* Bathing (i.e. bed bath, tub or shower bath, etc.) as directed
* Dressing/undressing as necessary
* Hair care needs (i.e. combing, brushing, shampooing, etc.)
* Nail care (i.e. clipping, trimming and cleaning the finger/toe nails)
* Shaving male residents
* Controlling hair growth on female residents (i.e. facial hair, under arms, on legs, etc.) as instructed
* Keeping residents dry (i.e. change gown, clothing, linen, etc. when they become wet or soiled)
* Change bed linens. Keep linens tight to avoid wrinkles from forming under the resident.
* Make beds (occupied and unoccupied.)
* Put extra linens on bed as requested.
* Position bedfast residents in correct and comfortable position, utilizing positioning devices as indicated.
* Assist resident with bowel and bladder functions (i.e., take to bathroom, offer bedpan/urinal, portable commode, etc.)
* Maintain intake and output records as instructed.
* Keep incontinent residents clean and dry.
* Check and report bowel movements and character of stools as instructed.
* Assist residents in preparing for medical tests and appointments (i.e., lab work, x-ray, therapy, dental, physician dialysis, etc.)
* Assist residents in preparing for activity and social programs (i.e. church, parties, visitors, physician, dialysis).
* Assist in transporting residents to/from appointments, activity and social programs, etc. as necessary.
* Assist with lifting, turning, moving, positioning, and transporting residents into and out of beds, chairs, bathtubs, wheelchairs, lifts, etc.
* Assist residents to walk with or without self-help devices as instructed.
* Provide eye and ear care (i.e., warm/cold compresses, removing wax and hair, cleaning eyeglasses/hearing aids, dentures, etc.) as instructed.
* Assist in preparing the resident for a physical examination.
* Measure and record temperatures, pulse, and respirations, as instructed.
* Answer resident calls promptly.
* Check each resident routinely to ensure that his/her personal care needs are being met in accordance with his/her wishes.
* Assist with the care of the dying resident as directed.
* Provide post-mortem care as instructed.
Special Nursing Care Functions
* Observe and report the presence of red areas and skin breakdowns to prevent decubitus ulcers.
* Report injuries of an unknown source, including skin tears.
* Provide daily indwelling catheter care.
* Provide daily perineal care.
* Perform non-sterile (clean) vaginal irrigation/douches.
* Assist with the application of slings, elastic bandages, binders, etc.
* Give tepid sponge baths.
* Provide daily range of motion exercises and record data as instructed.
* Turn bedfast residents at least every two (2) hours.
* Perform diabetic urine testing, as directed.
* Observe disoriented and comatose residents. Record and report data as instructed.
* Turn all medications found in the resident's room over to the Medication Administration Manager.
* Watch for and report any change in room temperature, ventilation, lighting, etc. to the RN Team Leader.
Food Service Functions
* Prepare residents for meals (i.e., take to bathroom, wash hands, comb hair, raise bed, position tables, place clothing protectors, take to/from dining room, etc.)
* Serve food trays. Assist with feeding as indicated (i.e., cutting foods, feeding, assist in dining room supervision, etc.)
* Assist residents with identifying food arrangements (i.e. informing resident with sight problem of foods that are on his/her tray, where it is located, if it is hot/cold, etc.)
* Record the resident's food intake. Report changes in the resident's eating habits.
* Keep residents' water pitchers clean and filled with fresh water and within easy reach of the resident.
* Serve between meal and bedtime snacks.
* Perform after meal care (i.e. remove trays, clean resident's hands, face, clothing, take to bathroom, brush teeth, clean dentures, etc.)
* Check rooms for food articles (i.e. food in proper container, unauthorized food items, etc.)
* Maintain intake/output records as assigned.
Safety and Sanitation
* Apply restraining device to residents in chair/bed as ordered.
* Check residents with restraining device at least every thirty (30) minutes or as ordered.
* Release restraining device at least every two (2) hours for range of motion exercises, taking to bathroom, etc.
* Maintain a record of residents with a restraining device, the time devices were released, and how long the restraining device was released.
* Participate in appropriate in-service training programs prior to performing tasks that involve potential exposure to blood/body fluids.
* Wash hands before and after performing any service for the resident.
* Keep the nurses' call system within easy reach of the resident.
* Immediately notify the RN Team Leader of any resident leaving/missing from the facility.
* Follow established safety precautions in the performance of all duties.
* Keep residents' personal possessions off the floor and properly stored.
* Keep floors dry. Report spills immediately.
* Keep excess supplies and equipment off the floor. Store in designated areas.
* Clean, disinfect, and return all resident care equipment to its designated storage area after each use.
* Report all hazardous conditions and equipment to the RN Team Leader immediately.
* Report all safety violations.
* Follow established smoking regulations. Report all violations.
* Report any communicable or infectious disease to the DON and/or the Infection Control Coordinator.
* Follow established isolation precautions and procedures.
* Wash hands before entering and after leaving an isolation room/area.
* Follow established procedures in the use and disposal of personal protective equipment.
* Wear and/or use safety equipment and supplies (i.e. back brace, mechanical lifts, etc.) when lifting or moving residents.
* Report missing/illegible labels and MSDSs to your supervisor.
Equipment and Supply Functions
* Use only the equipment you have been trained to use.
* Operate all equipment in a safe manner.
* Report defective equipment to the RN Team Leader.
* Inform the RN Team Leader of your equipment and supply needs.
Care Plan Functions
* Review CNA care cards daily to determine if changes in the resident's daily care routine have been made on the care plan.
* Inform the RN Team Leader of any changes in the resident's condition so that appropriate information can be entered on the resident's care plan.
* Ensure that your notes/documentation reflect that the care plan is being followed.
Resident Rights Responsibilities
* Maintain the confidentially of all resident care information.
* Ensure that you treat all residents fairly, and with kindness, dignity, and respect.
* Ensure that all nursing care is provided in privacy.
* Knock before entering the resident's room.
* Report all complaints made by the resident and/or family member to the RN Team Leader.
* Report all allegations of resident abuse and/or misappropriation of resident property immediately.
* Honor the resident's refusal of treatment request. Report such requests to the RN Team Leader.
* Works throughout the nursing service areas.
* Moves intermittently during work hours.
* Is subject to frequent interruptions.
* Is involved with residents, personnel, visitors, government agency personnel, etc. under all conditions and circumstances.
* Is subject to hostile and emotionally upset residents, family members, personnel and visitors.
* Communicates with nursing personnel and other department personnel.
* Works beyond normal working hours, on weekends and holidays, and in other positions, temporarily, when necessary.
* Is subject to callback during emergency conditions.
* Attends and participates in continuing education programs.
* Is subject to injury from falls, burns from equipment, odors, etc., throughout the workday, as well as to reactions from dust, plastics, synthetics, disinfectants, tobacco smoke, and other potential contaminants.
* Is subject to exposure to infectious waste, disease, conditions, etc. including TB and the AIDS and Hepatitis B viruses.
* May be subject to the handling of and exposure to hazardous chemicals.
Staff Development Functions
* Attend and participate in scheduled training and educational classes to improve nursing skills and maintain current certification as a Nursing Assistant.
* Attend and participate in scheduled orientation programs and activities.
* Attend and participate in annual OSHA and CDC in-service training programs for hazard communication, TB management, and blood borne pathogens standards.
* Attend and participate in advance directive in-service training programs as scheduled.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Education
* Must possess a high school diploma or GED.
* Must be a Certified Nursing Assistant in accordance with the laws of this state.
* Possess some computer skills and understanding of documentation software program preferred.
* Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language.
* Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
* Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, family members, visitors, government agency personnel, and the general public.
* Must possess the ability and willingness to work harmoniously with other personnel.
* Must have patience, tact, a positive attitude and enthusiasm, as well as the willingness to handle difficult residents.
* Must be willing to seek out new methods and principles and be willing to incorporate them into existing nursing practices.
* Must be able to relate information concerning a resident's condition.
* Must not pose a direct threat to the health and safety of other individuals in the workplace.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.