Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Performs routine maintenance and preventative maintenance on equipment, interior and exterior of facility which may include replacing light bulbs, lubricating pumps, cleaning filters, checking fan belts, and inspecting gauges and pumps.
- Performs minor and basic repairs in trade areas such as plumbing, painting, carpentry, installs masonite and tile, repairs door locks, window blinds and tracks and wall boards.
- Assists in machinery and equipment repair.
- Assists in groundkeeping activities, snow/ice removal, grass cutting, trash removal.
- Assists technical supervisor in plumbing, building repairs and structural additions when required and may assist in the operation of treatment and disposal plants and basic repairs to other system elements when necessary.
- Operates machinery and vehicles, transports passengers, tools, equipment and materials, and assists in maintaining and servicing equipment.
- May perform highway lighting or drawbridge maintenance.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Physical Plant Maintenance/Trades Mechanic I
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Knowledge of operating and maintaining a variety of equipment, hand and power tools used in trades fields such as plumbing, carpentry, painting or HVAC.
- Knowledge of performing work in a variety of trades fields such as plumbing, carpentry, painting or HVAC.
- Possession of a valid Driver's License (not suspended, revoked or cancelled, or disqualified from driving).
Conditions of Hire
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. DelDOT does not provide employment-based sponsorship.
Pre-employment Drug Testing: Upon a conditional offer, you must undergo pre-employment drug testing as part of the hiring process.
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
This position is a classification organized under an exclusive bargaining representative (labor organization). The candidate selected for this position shall be asked to join and pay dues to the labor organization or may, decline joining the labor organization and not pay dues or a fee. The labor organization has been elected by employees as their representative for collective bargaining and other work related purposes.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications“ tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.