The Senior Project Manager is responsible for leading teams to deliver complex project(s) that span across one or more business units. Manage resources, schedules, financials and adhere to quality and SDLC control guidelines throughout the full systems development life cycle. This also includes management of issues, risks and project change requests to ensure successful and on-time project delivery. Also contribute to process improvement initiatives as it relates to improving project delivery.
The Senior Project Manager has the authority to run the project on a day-to-day basis. Verify that the project produces the required deliverables of quality, within the specified constraints of time and cost and to achieve the potential benefits defined in the business case.
The Senior Project Manager is accountable for achieving desired project outcomes by negotiating milestones and delivery dates that balance business expectations with resource availability, technical complexity, dependencies and other important risks.
- Manage a portfolio of complex initiatives that span one or multiple lines of business
- Full project life cycle ownership: successful project delivery will include full implementation from initiation to deployment for multiple initiatives simultaneously
- Work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment demonstrating teamwork, innovation and excellence
- Demonstrate a functional acumen to support how solutions will address client goals
- Identify and develop trusted adviser relationship with project and program stakeholders
- Deliver appropriate and effective executive level communication
- Drive the development of effective and realistic plans, including a:
- Project / Program Charter that effectively frames the initiative in terms of objectives, scope, approach, risks, roles and responsibilities, and critical success factors
- a detailed project plan for all phases that clearly describes who needs to do what by when, also ensuring agreement with resources
- Feasibility studies, vendor selections and SOWs for evaluation by appropriate key stakeholders
- Drive and control execution to achieve project outcomes, including:
- leadership of the project team including building and motivating team members to meet project goals.
- regular and effective status meetings to track and recap actual performance relative to the project schedule.
- aggressive management of issues and risks, including timely escalation as needed.
- holding 3rd parties accountable to the SOW.
- tight management of scope, including negotiation on timing of requested adds.
- Assurance that desired quality is built into the development process and confirmed via test results.
- effective communication with project stakeholders, including regular status reporting and management of expectations. A strong bias for “no surprises“ is critical!
- Participate in establishing practices, templates, policies, tools and partnerships to expand and mature these capabilities for the organization
- Continue professional development in order to keep abreast of emerging technologies, methods and best practices
- Bachelor's Degree in appropriate field of study.
- Discipline expertise
- 7+ years of technology project management experience in a complex environment.
- PMP certification to demonstrate extensive understanding of project and program management principles, methods and techniques.
- Deep experience in SDLC methodologies, Agile, SCRUM, SDLC / Waterfall.
- Proficiency with PPM tools (eg. Clarity, Planview, Clarizen)
- Willingness to take accountability for results.
- Strong leadership, influencing and motivational skills including the ability to lead up, across and down multiple business and technology organizations.
- Ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment demonstrating teamwork and innovation.
- Build and maintain relationships by engaging business leaders to establish credibility, solve problems, build consensus and achieve objectives.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including presentations to executive sponsors.
- Self-motivated, decisive, with the ability to adapt to change and competing demands.