HIM Registrar, HIM Department (centralized), UofL Hospital, UofL Health, Varied Shift, Full-Time
The HIM Registrar is responsible for data collection and data quality in the reporting of birth and deaths, including fetal demise. Communicates directly with new parents, physicians, vital statistics, funeral homes, and health departments to expedite the processing of and timely submission of birth and/or death certificates. Responsible for the accounting of disclosures of the above data. Obtains necessary signatures and secures paternity affidavits for newborns and completes newborn registration within five (5) days post-delivery. Review birth certificates with parents of the newborn baby prior to discharge. Interviews birth parents, register, and submit births and deaths certificates to the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics. Compile monthly statistics of all births and deaths in the University of Louisville Health System. Actively participates in department and hospital performance initiatives when needed to ensure UofL success.
- Directly interact with parents and family members to ensure that a birth certificate is created for each live birth and a death certificate is created for each death.
- Review and verify labor and delivery documentation for accuracy and completeness.
- Communicate confidential information about births and deaths registration to parents and family members.
- Collaborate professionally with physicians, parents and family members to ensure accurate registration of births and deaths.
- Maintain privacy and confidentiality of patient protected health information in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Work with HIM Supervisor to identify and resolve issues quickly.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills when dealing with physicians, parents and family members.
- Promptly complete birth and death registration, notarize and submit information to the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics.
- Maintain counts of daily/monthly/yearly births and deaths for the state of Kentucky.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Associate degree in HIM required or HS diploma or GED with 1 year minimum experience in processing Births/Death registerations required.
- Minimum RHIT certification required or equuivalent work experience.
- Electronic Medical records experience required.
- Prior Knowledge of HIPAA standards preferred.
- 1 year of HIM department experience in an acute care setting required.
- 1-year prior experience with processing birth/death certificates required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Prior Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to abstract data and to perform data entry tasks.
- Ability to multi-task and be flexible with job demands.
- Energetic, motivated individual that connects well with people.
- Excellent organizational, oral & written communication skills a must.
- Ability to work in a high pressure or changing environment, and exercise good judgment to resolve problems in the absence of formalized procedures and guidelines.
- Must be familiar with electronic medical records, state of Kentucky Electronic Birth and Death Record Systems.