WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT THIS POSITION?
As an in-house Sr. Senior Staff Attorney for The Hartford, you will join a collaborative environment where you will have direct contact with our Claims Professionals while working from home! If you join our team, you will find that we foster personal growth and are all driven to provide excellent customer service to our Claims Partners and insureds! This position will be accountable for litigating cases throughout Los Angeles County, California and other Southern California counties. Our ideal candidate is an experienced Attorney with significant trial and litigation experience in Labor Law/Construction site accidents, Premise Liability, Products Liability and Commercial and Personal Automobile accidents. Some knowledge of Maritime Law (Jones Act & Admiralty Jurisdiction) is desirable. The Senior Staff Attorney will strive to deliver the best possible result in pending litigation while demonstrating the ability to independently handle cases from inception through trial. Key responsibilities include:
- Handle complex and high exposure litigation
- Analyze intricate substantive and procedural legal and factual issues, conduct extensive, well-reasoned legal research, independently develop and present defense strategies on behalf of clients
- Prepare complex pleadings, written discovery, depositions, motions and briefs in support of defense strategies without supervision because of level of experience and expertise
- Provide effective and timely communications, information, legal advice and other services to clients and claims customers on legal and factual issues in a technology driven environment
- Communicate with the court, witnesses, opposing counsel and co-counsel in a manner consistent with established office procedures
- Provide for the prompt, efficient and effective disposition of assigned cases.
- Independently prepare and present witnesses and evidence at trials, judicial and administrative hearings and alternative dispute resolutions
- Research, draft, file and argue appellate briefs in reviewing courts on behalf of clients
- Provide opinions to Managing Attorney, Assistant Managing Attorney, staff, clients and claims customers
- Minimum of 7 years of legal practice experience handling tort defense cases
- Knowledge of Los Angeles and Orange County court systems is highly desirable
- Member in good standing of California State Bar
- First chair jury trial expertise is a must!
- JD from accredited law school and license to practice in the state of California
- Strong legal research and writing skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize duties and time are a must
- Strong communication, computer and technological skills and the ability to quickly leverage new software as required
- Demonstrated expertise and familiarity in the handling of claim cases and litigation
NOTE*This position is a remote, work from home position preferably with a home office located within or near Los Angeles or Orange County.
Core Competencies Required:
- Strategic Thinking
- Operational Excellence
- Business Knowledge and Decision Making
- Effective Relationships
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong communication skills
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU TELL ME?
This position is a remote work opportunity however, our selected candidate will travel for appearances within Los Angeles County, California and other Southern California counties. We offer flexible work arrangements and enjoy a business casual work environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age