The USC Roski Eye Institute, Department of Ophthalmology is seeking a Research Lab Technician I to join its team.
A Research Lab Technician I is needed in the department of Ophthalmology to support clinical and basic research projects that are ongoing. This is a wonderful opportunity to work in the biomedical sciences with potential opportunity for patient contact and team based projects. This is especially good opportunity for those interested in gaining valuable experience for graduate or medical school applications. The individual must be highly organized, facile with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint and willing to learn new software programs. Minimum of 1 year commitment is required with possible extension to a second year.
Specific roles and percent effort are outlined in the job description.
Provides basic technical assistance to other laboratory technicians in conducting research experiments. Conducts standardized tests and procedures under close supervision.
Job Accountabilities include:
- Prepares experimental materials using laboratory protocols and safety guidelines.
- Collects and sterilizes dishware and glassware for use in laboratory
- Handles and disposes of hazardous and non-hazardous materials in accordance with safety protocols.
- Sets up and operates standard laboratory equipment.
- Maintains accurate records of procedures used to conduct basic experiments.
- Performs limited routine analysis and provides basic interpretations.
- Stocks and maintains laboratory supplies. Monitors inventory levels and orders or secures supplies as needed.
- Maintains laboratory environment in orderly, operable condition.
- Learns basic laboratory safety and, if appropriate, basic radiation or blood borne pathogen safety under the direction of the USC Safety Office and more experienced laboratory staff.
Work Location: HC4 (Estelle Doheny Eye Institute)
Percentage of Time: 100%; 37.5 hours
High School or equivalent
Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
6 - 12 Months
Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience
Minimum Field of Expertise:
Ability to follow detailed instructions, oral and written
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at email@example.com. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Read USC's Clery Act Annual Security Report
Required Legal Notices
Certain positions are subject to background screening
If you are a current USC employee, please apply to this USC job posting in Workday by copying and pasting this link into your browser: