Working under direct supervision of Dr. Van Eyk, as a Research Associate I, you will perform a variety of routine experimental protocols and procedures to support the objectives of one or more laboratory research projects in a specific area of research. Assists in general laboratory activities, including maintenance of reagents and stocking of supplies. Files and monitors documents. Keeps accurate and detailed records of experiments and results. Assists in the operation of specialized equipment and machinery. Observes safety standards and procedures and perform routine cellular, micro- and molecular biology procedures including, but not limited to Western, Northern blot, DNA/RNA, PCR, protein extraction, cell culture, Immunohistochemistry, and staining. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
In this exciting role, you will also assist the associate director of the new Cedars-Sinai Medical Center proteomics and metabolomics core. This new core is composed of a number of OMIC experts representing a board range of technologies for the study and quantification of proteins and biologically important small molecules. This technician will interact closely with the Core associate director. As well, they may interface with the mass spectrometry and bioinformatics team to deliver high quality and high content data to scientists and clinicians. Your primarily responsibilities are:
- Responsible for the execution and the appropriate documentation of sample tracking including storage and status within a designated workflow.
- Use of electronic and written notebooks.
- Sample preparation for protein, peptide, small molecule and/lipid quantitative analysis from variety of sample types.
- Communication and coordination with other assigned members of designated workflow.
- May assist in the application or analysis of mass spectrometry data to quantitate protein, peptide, small molecule and/or lipid.
- Conform to standard operation procedures.
- Apply technical judgment in assessing samples adequacy, data quality and instrument performance.
- Prepare, execute, and document projects/studies tracking.
- Involved in the preventative maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- May assist in the execution and preparation of data analysis and data reports.
- Execute, and document quality control
Essential day to day job duties and responsibilities include:
- Performs a variety of routine laboratory tasks and procedures.
- Keeps accurate and detailed project records of experiments and results.
- May assist with animal husbandry.
- Maintains lab equipment and related records.
- Transports, processes and logs samples.
- Maintains computer database with relevant clinical information.
- Performs lab maintenance duties, including glassware cleaning and sterilization.
- Maintains stocks of general lab materials, and places orders for lab equipment and supplies.
- Assists new students and fellows at the laboratory.
- Assists in the operation of specialized equipment and machinery.
- Observes and complies with safety standards and procedures.
- Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts Degree in biological sciences
- Technical laboratory program with experience or BSc in chemistry, analytical chemistry, (bio) analytical chemistry, biochemistry or a related discipline.
- Highly motivated and independent individual with general laboratory (chemistry laboratory or biological laboratory) experience.
- Practical experience in preparation/handling of biological samples (plasma, serum, body fluids, tissues and cells) for analytical /quantitative analysis of proteins, peptides, small molecular and/or lipids.
- Not required but helpful practical experience in chromatography (gas or liquid) and mass spectrometry.
- Highly organized and details orientated
- Ability to report and upkeep both physical sample tracking and status within designated workflow.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in the use of standard software including Microsoft® Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc. and analytical instrumentation software.
- Strong large data management skill applicable to a constant flow of projects, both large and small.
- Understanding and actively practice laboratory safety.
- Working Title: Research Associate I - Smidt Heart Institute - Dr. Jennifer Van Eyk laboratory
- Department: Heart Institute Operations
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic / Research
- Job Specialty: Research Studies / Clinical Trials
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day