KIPP SoCal Public Schools (KIPP SoCal) is a nonprofit organization that operates tuition-free, open-enrollment, public charter schools focused on preparing students in systemically under-resourced communities in Southern California for choice filled lives. In July 2019, KIPP LA Public Schools and KIPP San Diego Public Schools united to become KIPP SoCal Public Schools to better meet the needs of our students. We currently operate 19 schools, educate approximately 8,200 students and support an additional 4,300 alumni who are attending high school and college.
- The Regional Operations Manager role, reporting to the Director of Operations, engages stakeholders throughout the organization, manages operations projects and partners on the execution of KIPP SoCal’s operations vision.
- The Regional Operations Manager primary responsibility will be leading school safety and emergency preparedness efforts across the organization, with the goal of ensuring all KIPP SoCal sites are safe and welcoming environments and that students and team members are prepared for emergency situations to ensure student safety.
- Additionally, the Regional Operations Manager will be responsible for establishing strong procurement practices and procedures by working with both school and regional teams in identifying process bottlenecks and compliance gaps, streamlining procurement activities, and managing procurement data.
Student Safety & Emergency Preparedness
- Serve as functional expert around Student Safety, Emergency Preparedness, Business Continuity Planning, in partnership with third party school safety consultant
- Ensure all schools have annual emergency and other safety plans that are current and compliant with applicable regulations and include policies and procedures to ensure a safe and orderly campus, specialized instructional programs that promote equity, tolerance, safety, health and wellbeing, and a stand alone emergency crisis response plan.
- Work with School Business Operations Managers to develop emergency procedures and training tools to ensure the day-to-day safety of all students, team-members and visitors, including managing emergency supply inventory and purchasing
- Lead the design, implementation and ongoing oversight of a standardized visitor management process and platform
- Responsible for maintaining compliance with all applicable local, state and federal laws governing student safety and emergency preparedness across all KIPP SoCal schools and offices.
- Lead professional development sessions for regional and school-based staff, including School Leaders and School Business Operations Managers, in the areas of student safety and emergency preparedness.
- Manage regional mass emergency notification system for KIPP SoCal Public Schools.
- Coordinate with regional marketing team to create
- Evaluate the scalability of existing safety systems and find ways to address areas of inefficiency or ineffectiveness
- Create effective communication plans in response to school-specific or region-wide event
Procurement Strategy & Vendor Management
- Set strategic goals and vision for the procurement function; provide leadership in determining KIPP SoCal’s strategy for managing key vendor relationships and contracts
- Develop best practices for procurement and purchasing; build out the KIPP SoCal sourcing function including standard requests for proposals (RFPs) and contract terms
- Oversee key operational vendor relationships (e.g., insurance, furniture, office supplies) to streamline procurement activities and bring additional value to schools; develop effective quality control processes to ensure vendors are providing quality and continued service to all schools.
- Strategically leverage data to make sound procurement decisions; analyze spend across KIPP SoCal to identify opportunities for improving services and/or reducing costs
- Coordinate with regional and school-based team members to drive organizational compliance to KIPP SoCal’s fiscal policies and procedures and federal/state regulations
Talent Management & Support
- Support coordination of monthly team meetings with School Business Operations Managers (BOMs) and provide targeted professional development
- Manage seasonal events and initiatives for the regional operations team (e.g., BOM leadership retreat, BOM summer retreat, school operations appreciation events)
Project Management & Reporting
- Build out and annually refresh online operations portal/website to facilitate access to resources and best practice sharing for school-based operations teams
- Ensure the operations dashboard is updated regularly to support progress monitoring across the region; oversee tracking and data analysis of goals for school operations
- Support special projects and other tasks as instructed by the Director of Operations
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 4+ years of work experience in a fast-paced, high-capacity work environment with a strong background in analytics, project management or charter operations role
- Demonstrated ability in leading and setting direction for cross-functional teams, including coordinating work and driving change at all levels of the organization
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and adapt to changing priorities
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills; experience using Excel and/or Google Sheets to analyze large amounts of data and perform quantitative analysis
- Effective teamwork orientation with the ability to communicate and build relationships with multiple constituencies, including KIPP SoCal team members and contractors/vendors
- Systems thinker with an aptitude for proactively building systems
- Comfort with ambiguity and working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Motivated and self-directed; demonstrated initiative, leadership, and tenacity
- A demonstrated passion for improving K-12 public education
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation are required as travel will be necessary
- Very competitive compensation package inclusive of a generous benefits package
- 100% of healthcare premium costs covered by employer, dependents added at 50% of the cost
- Employer-paid KIPP SoCal life insurance
- 401(k) plan with up to 6% match by KIPP SoCal
- Voluntary Benefits (Pet Insurance, Supplemental Life, Accident, Short Term Disability, etc.)
- Generous paid time off program includes 22 holidays, 10 sick days and 10 vacation days per year
- Other great benefits (Flexible spending account, EAP, tuition reimbursement for dependents, etc.)
KIPP SoCal Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation/gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
KIPP SoCal strives to ensure that our careers website is accessible to all, including individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, please contact us. You can find our contact information on our website, http://www.kippsocal.org/. Information will be sent to a talent acquisition representative who will provide assistance to ensure appropriate consideration in the hiring process.