Under minimal supervision, performs the duties of a Public Safety Officer I for the Public Safety department. The Public Safety Officer I will conduct vehicle and foot patrols, patient restraints, incident report writing, public relations, emergency preparedness, door unlocks/locks, guest assistance, access control, and de-escalation of hostile visitors, employees or patients. The Public Safety Officer I will have a general understanding of the CCTV system. Extensive radio communication among the officers and dispatch to effectively respond to calls of service.
This position requires the full understanding and activate participation in fulfilling the mission of Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Hospital (MLKCH). It is expected that the employee will demonstrate behavior consistent with the core values of the hospital. The employee shall support Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Hospital's strategic plan and the goals and direction of the quality and performance improvement process activities therein.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct vehicle and foot patrol procedures in order to assure a safer, more secure environment for our employees, physicians, patients and guests
- Provide timely responses to calls for service
- Comprehensive radio communications proficiency
- Incident investigations of all minor and major facility interactions, including all criminal investigations
- Completion of all assigned reports, daily logs and required forms in orer to assure timely and complete documentation of security department activity
- Provides high quality professional services to employees, patients, physicians and guests in and around the hospital facility to assure continuous flow of information in and out of the command center to all appropriate security personnel and emergency agencies
- Conducts his/herself in a professional manner, consistent with the authority of the job
- Reporting safety violations to appropriate leadership or department personnel
- Assisting hospital personnel with disruptive and non-compliant patient restraints, as requested by medical personnel
- Safety and security response to all audible fire alarms within the hospital facility
- Access control at assigned posts
- General knowledge of the CCTV system and ability to effectively monitor all surveillance cameras
- Maintain external relationship with local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies
- Other duties as assigned by a Public Safety Supervisor or above
- High school diploma or equivalent certification required.
- Preferred work history in the field of public safety/security and or military is a plus. Training in cultural diversity or sensitivity a plus.
- Valid CA guard card required.
- Current CPI certification (instructor or participant) or must obtain within 90 days of hire.
- Current AHA Basic Life Support certification required. CPR acceptable for the first 60 days of employment.
- 6 months to 1 year minimum experience working in Security/Public Safety is preferred. Healthcare experience is preferred.
- Military experience with an emphasis in military police a plus
- Excellent guest relations skills required
- Computer literacy required
- Ability to conduct investigations, interviews and obtaining information for report writing
- Ability to provide detailed reports of collected data and findings
- Strong attention to detail with commitment to accuracy and quality
- Special Skills/Knowledge
- Demonstrated commitment to a strong service orientation
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- John E Reid technique of investigation and interrogation completion a plus
- Understanding of CCTV footage collection, sensitivity and follow-up
- Ability to work under pressure and to maintain efficiency and composure in sensitive situations
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Ability to type 50 words or more a minute
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and harmonious working relationships
Equal Rights Employer
Applicants are considered for positions without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, military service, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws. This application is intended for use in evaluating your application for employment. Please click the link below to view the E-verify or Right to Work information.