The RealReal is leading the way in authenticated luxury consignment, online and in real life at our brick and mortar locations. Founded in 2011, we’re growing fast and fundamentally changing the way people buy and sell luxury — a multi-billion dollar industry. With a team of in-house experts who inspect every item we sell, our commitment to authenticity sets us apart and creates a foundation of trust with shoppers and consignors. Our mission to extend the life cycle of luxury items is leading innovation in sustainable fashion. We’re proud to promote the circular economy and to be the first luxury member of the Ellen MacArthur Foundation’s prestigious CE100 USA.
Employees at The RealReal are dedicated, collaborative and innovative, and we’re looking for exceptional talent to join our team. Build your career with us and enjoy 401K matching, health, dental and vision insurance, commuter flex spending, healthcare flex spending, generous PTO, a mother’s room, and flexible work hours!
We’re seeking Lead Engineers for both the Buyer and Consignor sides of our business. On Consignor, your work will improve product intake funnels, user account pages related to their sales, customer payment processes, and integrate with tools used by business units such as Sales, Marketing and BI. On Buyer, your work would improve the core website and mobile application shopping experiences, personalization, customer communication, and other experiences for our customers. As a Lead engineer you will be the point person for team and project technical direction, a strong partner to the Engineering Manager, and an active hands-on contributor. The team will rely on you as a mentor and a shepherd of good engineering practices.
This position is based in San Francisco, CA or Los Angeles, CA and reports to the Engineering Manager.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide technical direction and mentorship for your team of fellow engineers
- Partner with engineering and product management to review stories and ensure optimal resource allocation
- Coordinate cross-team engineering efforts and determining technical requirements
- Review pull requests and provide constructive feedback
- Produce high quality, performant, testable code
- Contribute to the team’s consistent, measurable velocity
- Deploy to production frequently
- Help define technical strategy and architecture
- 2+ years leading a high-performance engineering team
- 8+ years of professional web-application development experience
- Fluency with any of Ruby, Elixir, Erlang
- Strong understanding of web-app performance fundamentals and related dev tools
- Strong database fundamentals and experience with MySql or PostgreSQL
- Worked with search engines such as Algolia, ElasticSearch, Lucene and Solr
- Experience using async message queues such as Kafka
- Mastery of git and Github workflows
- Bachelor of Computer Science degree or equivalent
NICE TO HAVE
- Experience with Elixir, Phoenix
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience with Kafka
- Experience with Microservices architecture
- Strong understanding of the Agile methodology and Scrum
- Advanced CS degree or equivalent
The RealReal is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or Veteran status. We will consider qualified applicants for a position regardless of arrest or conviction records, consistent with legal requirements.