Healthcare Plumbing Leader, Los Angeles Buildings Practice
At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways developing many of the world's most innovative and sustainable buildings, transport and civil engineering projects. Arup is a global engineering and consulting firm of over 14,000 creative minds. Our integrated approach to engineering and design brings together the best professionals to meet our clients' needs.
Arup owns the leading position for healthcare engineering design in Southern California. We are seeking a leader to join our Los Angeles Buildings Practice to help drive our already steep growth trajectory. Specifically, we are seeking a market-facing, senior healthcare plumbing engineer / designer. The hired candidate will join a multi-disciplinary SMEP team consisting of nearly 150 engineers delivering work in our local strategic markets: aviation, healthcare, embassy, property, and transport.
The role will include but is not limited to:
- Elevating our capability and reputation for providing cutting-edge plumbing design in the healthcare and health science markets
- Market place visibility as passionate expert in the design of hospitals and research facilities
- Contribute to quality and business development initiatives for LA Buildings
- Design and lead plumbing teams on large, complex projects - coordinating large project delivery teams, facilities, and resources, etc., within tight time and budget constraints. Predict and plan for future resources. Manage both technical and financial performance.
- Coordinating with multiple other internal and external disciplines and working in conjunction with project managers to help complete assigned tasks
- Writing succinct reports for internal and external purposes based on findings
- Presenting technical material in traditional and innovative ways for review by technical and non-technical audiences
- Expert in the trends and best practices in the healthcare market and laboratory building design
- Participating in local Professional Associations
- Development, mentoring, morale and motivation of the team for growth
- Identify gaps and recommend enhancements related to specific staff, technology, processes, and services based on a broad view of the organization
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant experience in Engineering Fundamentals
- Minimum 8 years of significant Hospital design experience
- CPD Certification // PE License (desired)
- Sound knowledge of plumbing system design fundamentals as they relate to large buildings projects
- Experienced large-project design
- Thorough understanding and exposure to multidisciplinary environment
- Excellent communication skills, dynamic personality
- Collaborative, helpful, "can-do", service minded, and Client focused attitude
- The ability to work under pressure, prioritize effectively, manage deadlines and exceptional organization skills required for our rapidly changing environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills essential for team-based working
- Strong presentation skills with colleagues and clients of all levels
- Will work from our new downtown Los Angeles offices
- Extensive experience in design and design leadership of all relevant plumbing systems including: domestic hot and cold water systems; sanitary sewer systems; storm drain systems; high purity water systems; medical gas systems; lab gas systems; fuel-oil systems; etc.
- Experience in the application of the IPC and FGI Guidelines (preferably the CPC too)
Proven track record of success in which there is evidence of exceptional:
- Present the work of your discipline and convince those around you of its merits
- Communicate in meetings to multiple stakeholders including clients, sub-contractors, and the team
- Advocate for the firm in all circumstances
- Deliver additional value by understanding the client's needs
- Build and maintain high performance, engaged and motivated teams
- Monitor project progress, maintain team billability and product completion in line with plans
- Understand project financial reports and act on the triggers self-sufficiently
- Experience with planning the end-to-end design and design leadership of a project, including: estimating delivery requirements and duration, allocating work, staffing, and defining and aligning milestones across complex work streams
- Experience as a large multi-discipline Project Engineer repeatedly demonstrating success
- Demonstrated subject matter expert on services.
- Exhibited curiosity and inherent fascination.
- Published thought leader and research on new trends.
- Senior level engagement in professional organizations.
- Past involvement in projects that required collaboration to align on critical trends, projects, ideas.
- Project experience that required connecting the dots, seeing patterns and envisioning possibilities.
- Experience facilitating.
- Adept at presenting complex ideas and subject matter to diverse audiences in an easy to understand and exciting way.
- Demonstrated ability to influence projects and to make technical design decisions.
- Demonstrated understanding of total design and experience with integrated design.
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless. This is your opportunity to shine.
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to thrive.