Since antiquity, when sea routes and land routes were perilous for people and goods, having up to date and highly accurate maps have been a requirement for safe travel. These maps were patchworks of military sketches, captain logs and merchant updates, and over the centuries became more and more detailed. In an era of increasing vehicle automation, having up-to-date and highly accurate maps is equally critical to ensuring safe vehicle operation both on the highway and on surface roads. Yet map building remains an exhaustive and highly manual process, meaning real-time high definition map updates often propagate through to the user with a delay of months or years from the date when they were collected, rendering them useless beyond limited driver assist functions. It is time for a new paradigm.
The Automated Mapping Platform team is responsible for developing a new high definition mapping cloud platform by integrating sensor data from vehicles and global imagery from satellites. It is an open software platform based on a contribution model: participating developers accept that vehicles deploying their application or software contribute anonymized sensor data to the platform. In return, every developer has easy, safe, open and sustainable access to high definition maps from across industries, fleets and car makers. One-stop-shop open APIs that allow developers to focus on building software. No need to worry about specific map implementations and maintenance, just pull down the data needed whenever it is needed. Updated maps will use mainstream camera data, the map update and building process will be increasingly automated, and satellite imagery will help build out a global road network where vehicles are not present in sufficient numbers to support a data pipeline.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
As a Machine Learning Engineer in the Automated Mapping Platform team, you are a highly skilled programmer and especially an expert in C++ or Python. You are willing to utilize your experience in Deep Learning and Image Processing. You are also enthusiastic to learn new technology and contribute to building a global ecosystem for the auto industry through the new technology of HD mapping.
- Develop algorithms to generate maps from probe data and aerial/satellite imagery
- Involved in process of maintaining the map database at national / global scale.
- Work closely with engineers in cross-functional teams to determine quality, responsibility and associated timelines
- Educate those around you to the ways of good coding practices
SKILL / QUALIFICATION
- Minimum 6-7 years work experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or closely related field
- Experience in development product using Machine Learning/Deep Learning and Image Processing technology
- Develop solutions for real-world Large-scale (millions of devices) problems
- High-level coding skills in C++ and Python
- Experience specifically with machine learning framework, PyTorch, Tensorflow, Keras, gdal.
- Experience specifically with tools for analysis, gdal, QGIS.
- Excellent communication and stakeholder engagement skills
- Business-level English (No Japanese required)
- Working knowledge of typical agile tools (Git, Jenkins, Docker, JIRA, Confluence etc)
- Understanding of Agile/Scrum methodology. Experience of agile a plus.
- Master Degree or PhD in computer science or a related field
- Experience with AWS
- Experience in machine learning open source contribution
- Agile/Scrum Experience
- Kaggle Master or related machine learning competition winning record
- Nomination experience with coding competition
- Experience in the field of mixing remote sensing and geography
- Salary - Depends on skills and experience
- Work Hours - Flextime with NO core-time
- Paid Holiday (Vacation) - 14 days (Prorated)
- Sick Leave - 6 days (prorated)
- Holiday - Sat & Sun, Japanese National Holiday, and other days defined by the company
- Probationary Period - 3 months with NO benefit Restriction
- Japanese Social Security - all applicable (Health Insurance, Pension, Workers' Comp and Unemployment Insurance
- Benefit Package - Very good package with lots of selections provided
If you are currently located at outside of Japan, don't worry, we'll set an interview over Google Hangout Meet or Skype.
By submitting your application you agree to the following terms: